Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy not starting all the time

ok so Ive had a subaru for a while now and I talked my mom into getting one too. Its a 95 Legacy outback with 171,000 on it. We have had it for a week and and now its not starting all the time. I got in and started it multiple times no problem. Mom says shes putting the clutch to the floor and it still wont start. So my question is what else would make it start just some of the time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Is the engine turning over and not starting or is the engine not cranking at all?

If the engine is turning over and not starting it could be a million things. People here would need more infos.

If tne engine is not cranking then the next question is «are the dash lights illuminating when the car is not starting ?». if not then it's probably the ignition switch. If the dash lights are on, the question is «do you hear a click ?». if so it's probalby the starter's solenoid contacts, if not then it could be the clutch pedal switch or the starter relay (under the dash on the left side).

next time it won't start, roll down the window or leave the door open, and listen for a click in the engine bay. If you hear a click coming from the engine bay, 99% chance it's the starter solenoid contacts.

If so, do a search, there's a couple good threads out there, as well as where to get just the contacts.