Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD doesnt work.

it's been a while since ive had a push button car.. but as i recall.. theres a fuse near the passenger side strut tower.. if thats not bad.. theres a vacuum operated selenoid just above the trans but closer to the drivers side.. those have been known to fail..

hope this helps and good luck

rllywgn

Umm, maybe you stiped the button?! :lol:

Nah, sorry man!

I would start by looking at the wiring on the button. Then following the wiring back from the button, which I would imagin would go into the dash somewhere. I would also assume that the button would lead to a coupld of wires on the gearbox. Kinda like the reversing light wires. But as you probably know, I have never owned, or seen a push button subie setup. I'm just guessing.

ya the vacuum solenoids have been known to fail. and the wiring could be slightly corroded. if you search for the trouble shooting of the vacuum solenoids, you might find out its the solenoid and not the wiring, but check the wiring first.

~Josh~

Ok UPDATE:

Ok After fooling around with your suggestions I have noticed some good and bad things,

bad - I think the 4WD dashlight might be burnt out? unless it only turns on when 4WD is actually ENGAGED?

and 4WD still doesn't work.

Good- Button and vacuum/Solenoid seem to be working because when I press the button I hear it click and it hisses air when I first press it. Does that mean theres a possible leak, or is that normal?

So I need to know where the lever or w/e the vacuum engages for 4WD is located? Do I need to remove the skid plate to access it? pics are appreciated if possible.

Oh, and rllywagon I changed the fuse with no effect.

a lot of people have vacuum problems going to that solenoid... the vacuum is supplied by a white canister in the engine compartment on the passenger side up by the hood hinge... make sure that the canister is holding pressure...

you can also just suck on a long hose connected to the solenoid on the driver side that actuates it... and check the wiring from there to the tranny...

you should be able to follow the slow of things... manifold vacuum, canister, solenoid, tranny... at least it sounds like the solenoid is engaging by the click you hear...

--Spiffy

There used to be a nice troubleshooting guide to this 4WD system in the USRM, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle to the new system?

on the driver side top of the tranny is a large vacuum baffle thingy. When you (or an assistant) click the button, you should be able to see it move. If it doesn't move, you have a vacuum leak before that point.

I think it should give a little hiss of air during normal usage.. not sure though.

Out of curiosity, how do you know it's not going into 4WD?

do this once: change the heater vent selections fro DEF, BILEV, FLOOR, etc. if all of these settings blow out of the DASH VENTS only, thgis will confirm a vacuum issue

look for a rather skinny line coing off the passenger side of the intake going to the vac canister. a lot of ties this falls off when working under the hood, and is overlooked!

also follow the plastic lines fro the vac canister to the other side of the car

UPDATE!

OK after fooling around with it heres what my grandpa and I discovered.

1. There doesn't seem to be enough suction getting to the lever thing. However, there don't seem to be any leaks or cracks...all of the vacuum connections suck at about 20(on a vacuum meter guage thingy)

2. We discovered that you can get it into 4WD by taking the right solenoid hose and switching it to the left solenoid(the one that is activated by pressing the 4WD button) and plugging the left hole with the tip of my finger(This was with the button at the ON position) This caused the dash light to come on also.

3. While taking the car for a quick spin while making sharp turns the rear was similar to a live (1 piece) axel. the inside wheel would spin, while the outside wheel would slide. Not good.

4. It also got stuck in 4WD until I drove in reverse.

So what do yall think?

Tyler

PS. I knew beforehand the 4WD didnt work because I jacked all the wheels up, and the fact that the dash light wasn't on.

1. There doesn't seem to be enough suction getting to the lever thing. However, there don't seem to be any leaks or cracks...all of the vacuum connections suck at about 20(on a vacuum meter guage thingy)

the 4wd is actuated by vacuum to a diaphragm at the transmission. check your vacuum there. suppose the diaphragm itself has a leak?

2. We discovered that you can get it into 4WD by taking the right solenoid hose and switching it to the left solenoid(the one that is activated by pressing the 4WD button) and plugging the left hole with the tip of my finger(This was with the button at the ON position) This caused the dash light to come on also.

Suppose the 4wd was working to begin with, switching these hoses will cause the swithc to work inversely. that is, when the button os off the 4wd will be engaged, and it will disengage when pressed

3. While taking the car for a quick spin while making sharp turns the rear was similar to a live (1 piece) axel. the inside wheel would spin, while the outside wheel would slide. Not good.

torque bind fro the differences in rotation between the front and rear axles across the transission 4wd "transfer case" (really a direct drive off the front diff)

4. It also got stuck in 4WD until I drove in reverse.

same as above. 4wd should be used only on slippery surfaces, ud, snow, sand, gravel HEAVY rain. engage and disengage 4wd with the steering straight ahead while moving. what you describe is typical of 4wd engageent such as when you drive onto a dry surface before disengaging it

So what do yall think?

i think this: we know the 4wd mechanism itself works. you know you have vacuum. i would suggest the diaphragm is bad on one side, or there may be a vac leak between the solenoids and the diaphragm

if you disconnected the diaphragm fro the threaded rod to the tranny you can manually operate the 4wd mechanism in the tranny. this is what subieecch refers to by "getting rid of all that crap and install a lever"

to source another diaphragm, any will work fro any 4wd pushbutton tranny, or any full tie tranny with a diff lock

one more thing you can try is: do like you did switching the vac lines to engage the 4wd this way. then re-connect them like they were, then turn the button off to see if it disengages. if this works, then you have no vac on the engage side of the diaphragm

if this does not work, then you possibly have no vac to the engage solenoid, or that solenoid couldbebad. check for volts at both solenoids

Are there any kits or plans etc. to do this, or do I have to fab something up? How hard a job is it?

Also.

torque bind fro the differences in rotation between the front and rear axles across the transission 4wd "transfer case" (really a direct drive off the front diff)

^^^--So that is supposed to happen? I don't understand?

""""if you disconnected the diaphragm fro the threaded rod to the tranny you can manually operate the 4wd mechanism in the tranny. this is what subieecch refers to by "getting rid of all that crap and install a lever""""

Are there any kits or plans etc. to do this, or do I have to fab something up? How hard a job is it?

""""if you disconnected the diaphragm fro the threaded rod to the tranny you can manually operate the 4wd mechanism in the tranny. this is what subieecch refers to by "getting rid of all that crap and install a lever""""

Bump12345

Ok I have a 93 Loyale S/w PshButton 4WD 5 Spd. Manual. And the 4wd doesn't work. I dont know how to get it to. Nothing happens when I press the 4WD button, no lights, flashes, strobes, buzzes, whistles, etc. So uhh.....Where do I start?

If the vacuum lines are dry or cracked, replace them they cause all kinds of headaches.

yes, I'd guess that you would have to fab something up yourself to do this.

I'd imagine once you got the (possibly bad) diaphram unscrewed, you'd see what you need to move to engage 4WD.

It may just be easier to get a new diaphram from a junkyard and replace it.