Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle: Stolen '99 Impreza RS - RECOVERED (pix)

RECOVERED - See my post on page 2

My 1999 RS was stolen last night.

Color: Black

License: NOCLASS

3-4 circular stickers on each side rear window lining bottom edge

Stolen from Ballard on 56th & 22nd

If seen please call Seattle Police.

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1999 RS was stolen last night.

Color: Black

License: NOCLASS

3-4 circular stickers on each side rear window lining bottom edge

Stolen from Ballard on 56th & 22nd

If seen please call Seattle Police.

Thanks.

I saw that vehicle several days ago on the freeway. I'll keep an eye out.

Not a peep. At this point I am hoping it's not found because it's probably been abused.

I can only hope that whoever took it needed the money or whatever really badly, because it certainly has put me at a great loss. I worked hard to pay that thing off and I am in no position to buy a new one.

Insurance will probably be close to blue book I imagine. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying another new car, and a used RS...well...let's just say that I also put some serious money into mine just to get it past a few of the known "issues" (stolen @ 70K miles). I am not sure about buying one I have no history with and having to go through some of that again.

If anyone has any tips or advice on settling with the insurance company or finding a replacement at some point, let me know. I started my own business recently and just can't do the car payment thing. I'm seriously thinking about a bicycle.

Someday...

settle with the insurance company as quickly as possible. if you settle and they find the car....the car is their's. they essentially "buy" it from you when you settle with them. so settle quickly. if it turns up before you finalize settlement then you have to deal with that. if you settle and they find the car, you can buy it back from them really cheap too if that's an option for you.

Be prepared with as much documentation as you can as to what money you have recently put into the car (for mods or upgrades, etc.) so that you can get the insurance company to more fairly reimburse you for your loss (if your car is not found). I had put $500 into new tires on a vehicle of mine and two days later it was totaled and the insurance company only paid about $50 extra and said "well, it has to have tires." I wasn't feeling the best, dealing with headache (probably from a concussion) and so I accepted the deal. My insurance company did take care of my medical bills when the other driver's (the other driver was the one at fault) company refused to pay my medical bills.

If your car is found, I hope it is good condition and has not experienced too much damage. Good luck and best wishes! -SQ93

Not a peep. At this point I am hoping it's not found because it's probably been abused.

I can only hope that whoever took it needed the money or whatever really badly, because it certainly has put me at a great loss. I worked hard to pay that thing off and I am in no position to buy a new one.

Insurance will probably be close to blue book I imagine. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying another new car, and a used RS...well...let's just say that I also put some serious money into mine just to get it past a few of the known "issues" (stolen @ 70K miles). I am not sure about buying one I have no history with and having to go through some of that again.

If anyone has any tips or advice on settling with the insurance company or finding a replacement at some point, let me know. I started my own business recently and just can't do the car payment thing. I'm seriously thinking about a bicycle.

Someday...

Good luck finding a replacement. Check the sales lists on this board. Smart Service also has a sales board, and if you call Smart Service directly Thomas might have some ideas about cars for sale. I don't know if SubieSport has a sales board, but it might be worth checking.

If you're seriously considering riding a bike for a while, check out Recycled Cyles down near the U. Andrew is awesome at finding you the bike you need without going beyond your budget. They also sell used panniers/racks/bags/fenders/bottle cages, etc. Huge savings by buying used. If you want a new bike, be sure to check out the ones made by Kona. The company is based in Ferndale, and they are doing the AfricaBike project. (konaworld.com) I just got a Kona Dew, and am pretty happy with it. Used it for transportation while my Imp was being repaired this week.

I'll keep an eye out for your car, too.

• 2 weeks later...
That's horrible.

Good luck MJ

3 weeks to get a check to replace your car? Has your insurance been paying for a rental up to now?

Yes. I've been looking around and you really can't buy much for what I got from them, even though it's above KBB.

My car was recovered yesterday across from Nathan Hale High School: 8610 30th Ave NE

Of course all of my personal belongings are gone with the exception of some flipflops and a few other cheap items.

Outside of a few new scratches the exterior is not damaged. The dashboard, however, was obliterated.

They stole my car and destroyed my dashboard for:

1 Lidatek laser jammer

2 fog lights

Stock Subaru cassette deck

Stock Subaru CD player

Yep. They took the stock stereo.

I have posted some pix for anyone who is interested:

http://i3.tinypic.com/wly5n6.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wly61k.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wly683.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wly6c2.jpg

I know the STi threads are way more popular but I thought this might be interesting to you guys. Whoever did this were idiots. They did get some valuable personal items, but for what they ended up getting out of the car, they really went to a lot of trouble.

Whoever did this were idiots. They did get some valuable personal items, but for what they ended up getting out of the car, they really went to a lot of trouble.

Most thieves are not known for their high IQ. you never know, you may suddenly see your stuff on ebay.

Anyway, sorry you had to go through this whole mess.

So, I'm curious -- what happens now? If you haven't spent the insurance payout, can you instead get your old car back (with appropriate repairs, of course)? From your description, it sounds like they didn't run it very long or very far; they were just after the easy to snatch stuff inside. Seems like you might be better off getting it back, rather than trying to find a replacement.

I noticed the lower shroud is torn-off the steering column and the ignition lock appears to be broken. :mad:

I'm curious, is that how it was started?

**** ******!

Yep. I fired it back up by turning the stem with a screwdriver. Not exactly difficult.

Well...

I no longer own it. I will have the option of buying it back from the insurance company, but I have been advised by many people not to do so. We'll see...

So I'm assuming that you don't own it because you have already settled with the insurance company. Why are people telling you not to buy it back from the insurance company. Did they total the car? I can't believe that they would do that looking at the damage that you have shown. But, just to humor us here on the board, asked them what the buy back would be. If it is reasonable, someone here (maybe even me) might buy it through you.

In a way I'm glad you got it back. Keep your options open and decide whether to buy back the car or not. Sad to see it so destroyed for such minor stuff. Did the police at least try to find who stole it? There was plenty of evidence in our Impreza when it was recovered and I think our local police collected a goodly amount of it but as far as I know never caught the guy.