Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Doors?

Are gen 1 brat doors replaceable with any other subee doors???

Specificly 80 brats and 80 others, I hope oh how I hope! Heres a tip don't start your brat from outside the drivers door with it in reverse with the door open next to a fence post:banghead: :eek::banghead::eek::banghead::eek::banghead::boohoo:

80 Brat's are Gen 1's, and 80 everything else is Gen 2, so your going to have to get a door from a 79 or older "something else". I don't know if anything else will fit, but if they are like Gen 2's then it would be a coupe door that you are looking for. Don't think they had a Gen 1 hatchback, which is the other Gen 2 vehicle that will swap doors with gen 2 Brat's

GD

So it will be a safe bet that it will be little difficult to find such a door in this part of the country, cause everyone drives there old subees till the wheels fall off. Thanks for the info, could be alot of gen 1 parts for sale if I don't find a door:boohoo:

There was no Gen 1 hatchback, in fact there wasn't a single Subaru with a glassback (not counting wagons and the Sambar) until 1980.

Fast-forward to 1987-89 and we have four models for sale at once...but that's something else entirely. (3- and 5-door Justys, 3-door Coupe, and hatchback, all at the same time.)

Any door from a late 1977 to 1979, 2 door coupe, sedan, or hardtop will fit. (DL, GF)

The glass WILL need to be changed. The BRAT has unique glass.

Easy job though.

Actually, the car doors are BETTER than the original BRAT doors. The cars had to meet "side impact" standards, so SUBARU added a steel reinforcement to the internal structure of the door. (Similar to the later cars.) The BRATS did not have to meet this standard for some reason. Hmm!

I have switched, (prior to painting), all the doors on my Gen 1 BRATs to car door for specifically this reason. You are safer in a side collision!!

Todd

http://m2.aol.com/subaru3

Originally posted by gbianchi

Wow great info guys, anybody got any extra car doors just laying around getting in their way???? Thanks for the replys I'm headin to the JY.

There is a yard near by that has a brat. I forgot the camera last time I was out there, but the next trip in two weeks I'll be snapping photos of whats there in case anyone needs anything.

Well the junk yard was a gold mine, 78brat, got the fender,got the drivers seat, got some interior parts, YEE HA! Sorry for yelling everyone. 80brat got the drivers door, its even blue, YEE HA! oops sorry. The funny part was there weren't any 80 and below cars, just the 2 brats, did I say YEE HA!!!:D:clap:

No. The recline levers would be right next to the center console and rendered totally inaccessible by the exhaust hump and the console. In additon the seatbelts would be on the outboard sides, instead of inboard--you wouldn't be able to use the seatbelts at all. I'm sure you could shoehorn the driver's seat into the passenger side, (not sure about the rail setup though) but given the symmetry--adjusters for reach, lumbar, ashtray on DL models (we're only talking Gen 1 here, right?), and recliners, and the seatbelt issue, I think you'd be best off with an upholstery job or seatcovers.

My 2¢, Andrew

Thanks for the info, recovering isn't an option cause I only have the drivers seat, but I know where another drivers seat is/was. So I was thinking of swapping the position and recline levers to the outboard side, seatbelts are not an issue as they are mounted to the floor pan?