Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Outback 4EAT Cluth Pack Question

OK -

I finally did it. Since I had torque bind in addition to a failed duty solenoid C, I started to replace the old tranny extension housing on my '96 Outback (2.5L engine, 4EAT auto tranny) with a spare one that I got from one of the guys on this board. Here's the problem - when I removed the old housing, a few parts popped out that I didn't expect to come loose. There is a 2-1/2 inch pin that looks like it is the shaft for a cam that sits up in the back end of the main part of the transmission, but that shaft, the cam, and a retaining spring all popped free when I pulled the old housing. My question - does anybody know how that stuff is supposed to go back together? It looks like the shaft fits into a hole in the main part of the tranny body, and the cam slides onto that shaft, and somehow the spring holds that cam under tension so it doesn't fall against the drive sprocket that couples power over to the clutch pack assembly, but I can't see how that spring should be installed.:( Anyone have any pictures of the back end of one of these trannys with the extension housing removed, or any idea how that spring should go in there? Thanks in advance for your help!

i just did mine the other day. the pin and shaft sit in where you think they would, and the spring kind of hooks behind the fork at the top and the bottom holds tension against the bottom of the case. if i go back down to my parts car soon i will try to get a pic.

i don't remember how they hooked into the case but the shaft and cam (with spring) are the "park" lock for the transmission (you put the car in park and the wheels won't roll). i shifted my junk trans into and out of park when i was removing the clutch pack. the park lock is surprising simple.

look at these pictures. especialy #12 of 24 on the first page, third down on the far right.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?

any chance these loose parts caused the binding?

good luck

i just did mine the other day. the pin and shaft sit in where you think they would, and the spring kind of hooks behind the fork at the top and the bottom holds tension against the bottom of the case. if i go back down to my parts car soon i will try to get a pic.