Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uber-getto snorkel

Uberoo

Im so close to installing my weber I can taste it!!!im having some issues with the throttle cable being a little to short and the opening on the circular thinge on the throttle cable being to small(mounts to carb,connected to cable) I'll file it so it fits..

now for the getto bit. Im far to cheap to pay for the $270 snorkel top for the weber so I got myself an old gallon sized tin can.I have tin snips and a 2 1/4" hole saw in the garrage.I figure I can cut the can so it will bolt up to weber then drill a hole for 2 1/4" pvc tubing.all sealed up with silicone!!!!:banana: :banana:

so is that getto or has someone done better?

edit:it is not done yet.I have to fix above mentioned issues..

btw is ok to have a cone filter on the end of snorkel(near the roofline) if not I could stick another can on it to make a hoddie!

On one of my previous subies the filter was exposed, but it had a hood on it, however the front of the element was exposed, so when i was moving forward in the rain it picked up water which is no good at all.

Make sure to have the opening facing down, really, people don't seem to listent when i say this, and then have to change their design after the first rain 6 months later.:horse:

If the opening is facing down, the water deflecting off the windshield would be splashed into the opening? I've done quite a bit of deep water driving, but I have the stock air cleaner, haven't made my snorkel yet, nor sucked water either for some strange reason. This dude i went 4By'n with in a GMC truck kept sucking mass water in his motor and he had more clearance than me and I drove through the same stuff he did and I stayed bone dry!!?? I bet he never expected my rig to outperform his!!:clap:

If the opening is facing down, the water deflecting off the windshield would be splashed into the opening? I've done quite a bit of deep water driving, but I have the stock air cleaner, haven't made my snorkel yet, nor sucked water either for some strange reason. This dude i went 4By'n with in a GMC truck kept sucking mass water in his motor and he had more clearance than me and I drove through the same stuff he did and I stayed bone dry!!?? I bet he never expected my rig to outperform his!!:clap:

I dont know about GMC trucks, but my jeeps airfilter box inlet came all the way to the front, and was on the side of the grill halfway down, if the gmc is anything like that its gonna suck water in way easy. I had my jeep down in california shortly after I got my jeep and I was crossing a stream to get to a beach, it was deeper than I thought it was, but it only came about up to the bumper, but it sucked water right on the approach and I immediately shut it off... fortunately I had enough momentum to get far enough to get the nose out of the water. Other than jeeps being POS, that right there was one of the worst things about my jeep, I never really took it through many water crossings after that. Maybe his GMC was setup the same way?

as for a snorkle, I think the best way is have it facing down and to the back if you want it to stay dry, although creating a scoop for it facing forward might feature some kind of gain :-)

Yeah, my old '88 Bronco II had the air inlet behind the front bumper and I stalled that a couple times crossing a flooded low water bridge near my house. that gets alot of people who buy SUVs in trouble, assumeing they can cross deeper water than the truck will allow. as for the snorkle, the best way to avoid water is to put the hose through the firewall and into the cabin. and don't forget to extend the exaust in case you stall in water and flood the exaust and/or engine (particularly easy on a boxer engine)