Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing center console cover ... arg!!!

I'm trying to install a new CD/MP3 player in my wife's '00 Legacy and there's one last spot on the console cover I just can't get off. It's the part right next to the ash tray. I can't tell if the housing for the ash tray is bolted onto something and that's what's causing it not to budge or if I just need to yank a little harder.

Of course, I'm nervous about just yanking harder. Don't want to damage something! Anybody changed out the audio deck in these things before and got an idea?

there are screwss at the bottom of the ashtray housing remove those two and you'll be fine

Ah ha ... that's what I thought. I wasn't sure, and they're a bear to get at. But, now that I know they're the key I know I won't be wasting my time there.

Thank you! :headbang:

• 2 years later...

I am doing the same thing. Single disk change just spits out the CD and won't play them..so I want to remove the changer and clean it. Are the two screws in the ashtray holder on the top of the holder..screwed into the bottom of the radio bracket about 3" in? They are the only ones I can see/feel..what a bear if those are the ones you have to take out!!! I have taken out the drink holder.

If it's the same as my '97, take the ashtray out and then at the top of the opening will be two screws. As mentioned a stubby phillips or an offset phillips will work. I have attached a pic that will outline the various mounting points, again, this is for my '97.