Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny cooler or oil cooler /88turbo a/t

looking around for a tranny cooler found some for around 30 bucks , light duty , or heavy duty for 10 bucks more , along with new 2row radiator + drain fill tranny , my question is should i go with light duty or heavy duty ? i will be using the ac this summer , car has no problem with tranny,or go with oil cooler instead ?? thanks :confused:+ what type of tranny fluid ?

the light duty cooler will be more than adequate. the radiator side tank is a terrible excuse for ATF cooling so don't let the label "light duty" fool you into thinking it doesn't do much. if you are racing or towing and subjecting the motor to abnormal useage *maybe* a larger one would be in order, but even in that case a light duty would be fine.

oil coolers are a good option for turbo vehicles, but i'm not very experienced with those. use the recommended standard ATF unless you're having some transmission issues you're concerned about. Redline is a popular aftermarket ATF option. i know some people on here running it.

Does your new radiator have the piping for the AT fluid? You could just cool it through there. My 3.5L Mopar runs the ATF thru the radiator and another cooler.

Sure, your mopar works fine with your mopar's radiator ATF cooler...

The coolers on the subaru radiators for the AT fluid is really crappy. Its okay, but if you do any driving in mountains, driving fast, towing, etc, it quickly gets overwhelmed.

A light duty cooler will be so much better. You'd be fine with the light duty cooler, and just completely bypass the radiator cooler.