Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you tow an Outback in Neutral?

It was a GMC Jimmy circa 1972. Came out of the Ski lodge in Alaska to go home at dusk and it wouldn't crank over. My dad talked someone into push starting us and telling that someone that it may have to get up to about 40mph to work. The "pusher " was skeptical and I don't know why it couldn't be jump started.

I admit I was just a kid and can't be certain how fast we were going or the particular vehicle settings that were used to accomplish the feat, but I was right there in the front seat when the Jimmy kicked over and we pulled away from the "pusher".

Juan

Thats back when transmissions had rear pumps, they quickly disapeared with the 73 fuel crises as they were deemed extra weight and redundant. Electric starters were very dependable by the early 60's so their days were numbered.

I had a 69 rambler automatic you can push start, but thats over 30 years ago.

The rear pump would allow for pressure to be built up so that the clutchs/bands could apply pressure where they had to. Now you get alot of spining parts with a fluid thats not being cooled and can fry the clutches, or over heat the tranny fluid to the point that its useless and the firsdt time you drive a car the car its over.

My how i miss a 350.00 tranny rebuild job, guess im showing my age :)

nipper

nipper

Makes sense.They actually included a pump so auto-tranny cars could be push started?

I was doing the math as I was typing and, wow, you're right. It was a long time ago. Had to have been. I remember being on the prowl for cheap gas at $0.45 per leaded gallon at that time.

Juan

Too bad the rear pumps have gone the way of the dodo. My 1950 Olds became mine after it had been parked in a barn for over 10 years -- I bought the car in 1973 -- everything under the hood was covered in rust and dust, yet I was still able to get the engine to turn over after a few oz. of oil was poured into each cylinder to loosen 'er up a little bit, and later on when the old 6 volt battery gave up the ghost, I was able to roll her downhill every morning and effectively push start the car via that old hydramatic tranny.

Built like a tank -- and handled like one, too, but I could always count on that car getting me where I needed to go.

Too bad the rear pumps have gone the way of the dodo. My 1950 Olds became mine after it had been parked in a barn for over 10 years -- I bought the car in 1973 -- everything under the hood was covered in rust and dust, yet I was still able to get the engine to turn over after a few oz. of oil was poured into each cylinder to loosen 'er up a little bit, and later on when the old 6 volt battery gave up the ghost, I was able to roll her downhill every morning and effectively push start the car via that old hydramatic tranny.

Built like a tank -- and handled like one, too, but I could always count on that car getting me where I needed to go.

I had a '51 Chevy - but 3 on the tree. Kept eating generators till an old timer told me to put a ground strap from the engine to the body. Original grounding mod? lol! many times I would purposefully seek out inclines to park on in case I had to roll start it. man I STILL hate vacuum windshield wipers!

Carl

I have owned three subaru's: 2004 WRX, 2002 OBW, 2000 OBW. I towed the 2000 from Virginia to Idaho with a tow dolley. It was a manual transmission too. I drove the car 67,000 more miles and then had problems with the tranny. I don't know if it was related to towing the car or not.