Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 questions for swap

Guest archemitis

i dont know much about the ej series, but im gonna put it somewhere subaru never intended. are there better years for the engine, and the computer? and tranny? i want a ej22 i think, because my favorite junkyard is full of them, legacy mostly 94-96. anything i should stay away from? and a 5speed 2wd tranny... they must be all about the same right? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Guest Legacy777

What are you putting it in would help.

The 1990-1994 motors are pretty much all the same. There's little tweaks here and there with certain sensors, injectors, etc. The ECU's continually got tweaked, but I suppose their basic function should be the same.

The EJ22 in 1995 got the single port exhaust heads, but did get larger valves, and some did get roller rockers. Also the EJ22 in 1995 went to an OBD2 computer setup.

Guest Legacy777

I'd probably go for the 1990-1994 models so you can use OBD1.

I don't know how much of an advantage the larger valves will give you vs. the dual exhaust port head design.

You can get the roller rockers from the 1995-1996 models and put them on 1990-1994 models.

Sounds like your going to put a EJ22 into a EA81 Hatchback body? I'm doing the same swap starting next month. If your in need of computer and wiring diagrams go here http://www.kennedyeng.com/ I just received mine in the mail today.. Damn it's very very complete. It's for those VW Van people that use the EJ 22 in there cars.

Good Luck..

Originally posted by archemitis

i gotta have dual port heads, cuz thats the turbo manifold i already have:brow:

will obd1 work good with a turbo at stock boost levels?

OBD1 will be fine.....but it will depend on the type of ecu you use, n/a, turbo, etc. You may or may not get the control over tweaking things that you want......I'm not really sure how much tweakability you want, and what ECU format/platform you're starting with.

thanks legacy777 thats what i wanted to hear! i want to use the na computer, cuz thats all that is in the junkyard. can i just plug a turbo computer in? will i then need turbo injectors and fuel pump? hmmm. i want to use stock subaru stuff, without getting into rising rate rugulators, and piggy backs. im thinking even if i cant tweek it at all i will be happy with a turbo 2.2:headbang:

for a turbo mutant, you're probably better off using a n/a computer and adding the controls you want on. boost, a/f, and timing.

You will need some additional control besides what the stock n/a ecu is capable.

It is probably easier and cheaper to add on control then to add a turbo legacy ecu, and be required to run the turbo maf, injectors, etc.

Plus you would have issues unless you hooked up all the rest of the sensors to the turbo legacy ecu, and then you get fuel cut and boost limiting on the stock ecu......