Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 radiator questions

I have an 84 GL wagon, D/R 4 speed. Wanna buy a new radiator and would like to get a two-row if possible. Radiators.com only lists an OEM replacement type, and for a 1.6 liter motor. How do I get hold of a two-row for my EA81?

Did EA81 Turbos come with two-row rads? What year(s) were the turbos?

Also, on the radiators.com website I noticed that there are different prices for EA81 radiators depending on body style. I would think the Brats, sedans, wagons and hatches would all have the same radiator since the sheetmetal would be basically the same.

I put an aluminum 1 row EA-82 rad in my ea-81 hatch and it works(cools) much better than stock. Aluminum conducts and dissipates the heat to the air much better than the stock copper.

you have to bend the mounting bosses out of the bottom of the ea-82 rad, and use a metal strap of some sort to make a fix for the bottom of the rad so it doesn't swing. I found an extra hole down there and use a self tapping screw and the bottom mounted just fine.

You can likely get a ea-82 rad from the boneyard pretty cheap.

Regards,

I prefer the Go/Dan radiator over the modine radiator. the Go/Dan had all the captive nuts and mount holes needed. with the modine I had to drill holes and add nuts, etc.....

I believe 698 is the industry number for the replacement....