Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I took my 2000 Legacy MT in to my mechanic for the 95,000 km (60,000 m) service and he pulled the #1 plug to see how it was (it was okay) and reported that there was some oil in the plug well.

He reckoned that it wasn't something that had to be fixed right away, but said I should get it taken care of in the next couple of months. He didn't look at any of the other plugs (end of the day was rapidly approaching), but said that he would check them all when I brought the car in.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? Is this a minor concern, or is it a sign of something bigger at work?

All opinions appreciated!

I'd agree with your mechanic. Something you should do, but it isn't a show stopper. My 2000 Legacy has the same issue. I cleaned everything off and it's been running fine for the past ~10k miles.

The sparkplug wire boot seals the electrical connection pretty tightly. I would imagine you'll get a CEL if the connection gets oil in there.

I believe the gasket kit is about 10 or 15 bucks (US). Includes a new valve cover gasket, grommets for the bolts, and two larger grommets for the spark plug holes.

I took my 2000 Legacy MT in to my mechanic for the 95,000 km (60,000 m) service and he pulled the #1 plug to see how it was (it was okay) and reported that there was some oil in the plug well.

He reckoned that it wasn't something that had to be fixed right away, but said I should get it taken care of in the next couple of months. He didn't look at any of the other plugs (end of the day was rapidly approaching), but said that he would check them all when I brought the car in.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? Is this a minor concern, or is it a sign of something bigger at work?

All opinions appreciated!

minor. ( i feel like i dejavu, i just responded to this on another thread hehe)The O ring around the spark plug is leaking. You need to remove the valve cover to replace it, but if its not smoking, not loosing alot of oil, i would live with it.

nipper