Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent headlights: 02' Legacy GT

My 02' legacy GT wagon developed intermittent headlights:

When they turn on (either as DRL, or as headlights) - someties it is just the left one, or the right one, or sometimes both come up.

Once they are up - they stay that way untill the next start.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks,

-Michael

Whenever I turn on the headlights/DRL, sometimes both of them turn on, and sometimes only one - either right or left.

So simetimes I am driving with just left light on, sometimes with only the right one, and sometimes - both.

WHen both are up - one is brighter than the other.

Next time after I shut it down, and start again - they may come up in the sam ecombination, or differently - may be both, may be just one, but not always the same one.

Fogs are fine too, always both turn on when turned on.

High beams are fine - always both come up.

-Michael

relays for the lights should be under the hood in the fuse box. You may want to check the connection at the bulb as well.

When you experience the problem, get out and wiggle the connections on the bulbs. See if that does anything. If not, try wiggling, pulling out and re-inserting the relays. In doing so, hopefully you can isolate where the issue is.

I agree with Legacy777: bad connection somewhere. On my 96 Legacy, I had an intermittant headlight and found the plug on the back of the bulb to be bad. The connection must have arced or something because the metal connectors were weak, and the plastic housing was crumbling. If so, you'll have to replace the plug.