Ultimate Subaru Message Board

YAY! My lift is in! - UPDATE - Installed the Tires today!

GeneralDisorder

Got my car back from Mudrat79 and I am very pleased with the work done on it. He installed his custom 3" lift for me, and it will be very interesting to see how it performs next to the many PK lifted soobs.

Here's some pics I took so far:

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo72

The rear end is very interesting, as it is not a body lift, but a real 3" suspension lift using EA82 rear struts. The rear diff is WAY up in the air!

I'll be getting tires soon, so I can have some fun with it.

What do you guys think?

GD

Yeah - Mudrat mentioned to me that he had never noticed any real wear problems with the other ones he has done - I think it would wear those little sissy tires bald real quick, but Mud Terrains he says won't wear as bad. I guess I'll find out. The intention is for it to be an off-roader anyway, so it probably won't be on the pavement unless it's to go to and from the off-road site. and occasionally I'll take it to work maybe :brow:

Not sure - but the physics involved may flatten the suspension out a bit

Sweet82: Those aren't shocks back there - the're EA82 rear struts.

John's been running that configuration since before PK was making the American version of the BYB kit. I wheeled with him when he finished his first kit, he was still sporting 13s on the "Beast" then. Probably about the year 2k.

That same weekend, Mike W was trying out the first BYB kit to make it to America. Both were amazing after a couple of years of wheeling Soobs with no lift. The group photo of us up at Evans sits proudly in my photo album.

Good for you Rick. Get some tires on it now, get some practice in after that, then get up here and wheel with us at Evans Creek. :D

beautiful. just beautiful. i like the suspension lift in the rear compared to the traditional byb body lift. too bad mudrat isn't in wyoming, i'd have him help me out.

i think it even looks good w/the stock size rubber, but will look mean as hell w/some big ol' mudders on it!

ROCK ON:headbang: & LIFT WAGONS:headbang:

Guest Vickaroo

NICE!!!!!! Just wait when you get the big tires on the heads will turn.... People dont know what to think of a Subbie wagon being lifted.... They always take a l-o-n-g 2nd look... LOL Your going to have a blast in your "baby" Vicky

hey man, I can't make it up on sunday, the hatch isn't driving yet... turns out it wasn't the manifold gaskets. It was the passenger side head gasket. Possibly the head that andrew put on OR the gasket we used. Either way, she's still got lots of water running through her... but at least I cleaned out the engine from all the oil and flush it out.

It won't be running any earlier than next thursday I don't imagine. We may pull it and get two new gaskets, and some valve seals, and use heads from an engine with bad main bearings I was going to buy from andrew. Sounds like fun eh?

Even without big tires people don't know what to think of it. Especially since I'm running a straight pipe exhaust (the muffler fell off a while back) and a weber, so when I "get on it", my little EA81 sounds very angry. Past 3500 RPM's it sounds really great cause the secondary opens up, and you can hear the weber doing it's hoover impression.

Got a lot of looks when I pulled into the gas station yesterday with it.

People seem to stay out of it's way a little more too - they probably look at the car and figure that the driver is probabably a little unbalanced......

*Jon: No prob man - we'll meet another time. Good luck with your head gasket.

GD

jonofscio

Thanks for you input but, just to clear some things up for you. It was my lift, and My hub convertion, that I brought to the board of the idea of re-drilling the hubs. and there is no lip that needs to be sanded if your refering to those nibs on the back those do not have to be ground off either, it's ok if you do but its not nessasary mine aren't the lugs will still seat just fine trust me like i said re-drilling the hubs came from me.

Hassey

Not BFG's, and not Coopers either. Some brand called "Hankook". similar tread pattern to the BFG and the Cooper, but cheaper than a Cooper. Also - the build of these is slightly more beefy than the Cooper - 6 ply instead of 4 ply, deeper tread, wider tread, etc. I compared both of their specs from the company web sites, and the Hankook's seemed better all around than the Cooper, so I figured I would give em a try.

I probably am going to drill the rims. They are only $25 rims, and if I decide to do the 6 lug, I can always get new ones with my next set of tires (probably some interco's, or ???). Also - I understand that if you do the rear disc brake conversion, there's not much meat on the rear disc setup to mount the extra lugs...

The tires are 215/75R15, and the wheels are toyota 6x5.5 x 6 I believe. I got the tires for $93 each mounted and balanced, and the rims for $25 each. So a total of $472 for everything. I checked around, and could have gotten the Coopers for $99 probably, or the Les Schwab Wildcat EXT's for $110. I did a little research comparing specs, and found the specs of the cheaper tires to be better than the specs of the Cooper or the Wildcat (made by Cooper I think...). One place I called said they could get a 6 ply version of the Cooper for like $113..... that might have been interesting....

GD

actually, drilling the hubs is ALOT more work than people tend to think.

Step 1: Drop off at machine shop

Step 2. pick up from machine shop.

You really should take the extra little bit of expense and effort to do the six lug conversion. Hassey preached it to me and I am very glad I listened. It is a much better design in terms of strength, and it opens up virtually every toyota wheel to you.

I'm penciling you in for the xmas tree run. Wanna see those in person.

A 215/75 should be about a 29 or so? Wagon's gonna look tough.

As for redrilling the hubs. . . Ken runs the rear discs and redrilled his hubs. I'd say it's somewhat sturdy, we took it thru the Rubicon and then drove it 1000 miles to Eugene. No problems. Maybe shoot him an email or give him a call.

I say that redrilling the rims would indeed screw with their good looks, 25 bucks or 125 bucks. Extra holes look kinda goofy in my book. (no offense to folks running that set up.)

EZ

The drilling the rims thing seems very sketchy to me..The hubs are stronger than the steel on the rims and can handle the extra four holes i think, plus you have bigger wheels, so how can two extra studs hurt? not only that, but what about the taper in the rim holes? Wouldn't it be more of a biotch to have to taper the holes, than to have a straight foward conversion that required no special tools, and would leave no room for error when it comes to simply drilling holes and banging in studs?

GD- not clowning on your choice, but it seems like you're going that far with a nice project, why not do it the way that's fool proof?

Solemente es mi dos pesos :bday:

- - those rims are dope!!