Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi guys, We have a 97 legacy outback Limited both my wife and i love it but we recently have been having problems. It runs great as long as the engine doesnt reach normal operating temp,after that the engine stalls . i have a Haynes manual and have followed the troubleshooting guide.Have also had it in a shop several times,each time they work on it it runs for a couple of days and then the same thing happens. any help please.

hi guys, We have a 97 legacy outback Limited both my wife and i love it but we recently have been having problems. It runs great as long as the engine doesnt reach normal operating temp,after that the engine stalls . i have a Haynes manual and have followed the troubleshooting guide.Have also had it in a shop several times,each time they work on it it runs for a couple of days and then the same thing happens. any help please.

How many miles on the car. When the car has an issue directly correlated with a repeated parimeter, look at the sensors. I would suspect the engine temp sensor for the ECU (not the one for the temperiture gauge).

Before digging too deep you may want to get the codes scanned to see if you have any. Also if you can rent a scanner, it will tell you the engine temp on the fly. If the sensor has an open, it should show you an open or no temperiture reading when the car stalls.

My next two choices would be the few sensors that can make the car die. That would be the cam and crank senors, and i would look at the ignitor.

When the car dies, do you have spark? Can you hear the fuel injectors clicking (or using a test light see if they get a signal).

nipper

thanks guys,to answer your questions the car has 97000 miles,I did have a check engine light codes indicated 1,2,3 cyl misfire but cleaning the egr valve took care of that, now the a/t temp light flashes 16 times when i start the car. have been reading thru all posts on this sight as well as talking to subaru rep. believe have narrowed down to mass air flow sens. again thanks to everyone on this site. as isaid i am new to the joy that is SUBARU so i will stay with this sight to see if i can help the way you guys helped me.