Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What this small aluminium thing?

Hi, continuing on the quest to get this EA82T to run,

I have a small aluminium unit that looks just like the drop resistor pack except it's a bit smaller, it has two wires comming out of it with a round connector.

???? what is it????:-\ Cant find it on my wiring diagram!

It's a remote recevier unit used for processing commands from the alien invasion fleet - will be best if you cover it with tin foil.... and don't forget your foil headgear while driving.

GD

So you are one of THEM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cant remember where it was when I took it off, now that car shell is gone, just the loom and engine ecu and sensors left, the other complete car I've got, I havnt seen one of these on yet. I'll have a better look, maybe I'll post a picture of it!

It sounds like an RF choke, to keep alien........ I mean, stray radio signals from the alternator from making noise on the radio.

I'll take a picture of it later.

If it is an RF choke -where would it wire up/between? I'm probably not going to need it but am curious.

definately alien technology:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it even has a radio frequency on it

hee hee, at least they're not the 'numbers' from LOST (if you watch it).:rolleyes:

I am still not sure if people are serious or not about what it is!:confused:

4x4_Welder, do you still think its a RF choke?

WHere was it located in the car?

I know -stupid - I cant remember, I took it off the rotten car and dont have the shell anymore. I cant find it on the other wagon that I have which is complete and running. -I'm just going to try the engine without it and see if the ECU throws any codes. If it is a RF choke then I'll be ok!

lacking any further information, I'd say it was the dropping resistor for the 4eat transmission ECU..every sub with a 4eat that I've seen has had a single resistor just like that mounted somewhere...

HTH

Kaz

Dude, that is a good shot, the car I took it off was a automatic and the other one is a manual -that's why I cant find it on the car I have.

Cool, either way -RF choke or dropping resister I'm ok without it,

its right behind the airbox

I think that is the injector resistor pack. The thing I took a piture of is similar but smaller and only has two wires not five. But the fact that it is so similar fits with the idea that it is a dropping resistor for the transmission.

I'm like 98% sure that's the dropping resistor for the 4EAT... Does it have the 4 speed automagic?

We pulled one of these out of an MPFI EA82 - but the car was 5 speed 2WD. I would be leaning toward something more to do with Fuel Injection.