Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Massive cams for the RX

WJM

does anyone have any clue as to what kind of place I can get some cams done for the EA82? Im looking to get some massive lift and duration with no/little overlap for the RX. Intake, exhaust, spyder intake and an inercooler for starts.

In re-grinding a cam, they usually make the base circle diameter of the lobe smaller, and grind the sides of the lobe different to achieve the desired profile. Remember reading about some places that even weld more metal onto the cam lobe, regrind the lobes, then re-heat treat (anneal) the cam. Don't think I would like that done on my cam, but that's just me.

Originally posted by NoahDL88

Go with delta, closer to 50 bucks a cam plus shipping as opposed to paeco which is about 450 a cam so 900 for both, try ramengines.com they also may have some ea-82 stuff, and the cam would be new not a re grind

Besides the cheaper prices, is there any reason why someone should go with Delta? I mean, is there anyone on the this site that has tried Delta and have gotten some positive results from a regrinded cam?

There is a place here in Albany that will grind a cam for 45 bucks, but someone told me that they don't heat treat it and it will only last for 30,000 miles or so :-( That would be sweet to get a big monster cam for my Turbowagon :-)

Ricer: Dude does that have a cam in it?

Me: No it just runs liek crap, want to race? :brow:

Actually, the people at Delta cams do a very professional job.

As most of you know, we rebuild our car engines mostly stock, but there is an aircraft company who uses our engines exclusively, and they specifically requested Deltas Stratus grind for aircraft in the EJ22 engines.

From our experience, I would definitely recommend them. Scott and Jerry are the guys there.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Dont go too crazy with yr cams - I have a an EA82T in my RX that was built up by rally mechanics - 30-70/70-30- it says on the cams (when i pulled the covers to do the lifters). No idea of lift but when when you compare to standard they look nearly circular rather than egg-shaped. I think those timing figures make them about 280 duration. My engine still has some tuning/running issues; but i can tell you this - NOTHING below 2000rpm, easy to stall without playing the clutch, kicks in great 2500-3000 and keeps pulling well past 6000 (i dont go further out of respect for its age - despite the high-tensile head bolts (seen em) and apparantly forged pistons (not seen so cant be sure). So, in a nutshell - you won't win a traffic light drag unless you are prepared for 4000rpm starts, and she wont be easy off road.

Can an 'upgraded' cam that moves the powerband slightly higher in the rpm range be offsetted by raising your compression ratio slightly to gain back the low end? Restricting your exhaust a little further would be out of the question since you'd be robbing the power that you've gained with the cam in the first place.

My GL-10 with a certin timing setting has tons of lowend...but looses high end. At about 16 deg, its optimal. good low, good high, excellent mid, and little detonation in hot weather.

IF...I had better cams for high end, and an IC, and 100 octane fuel, and DIS, AND a spyder intake, the engine would be perfect. Oh, dont forget the CU head gaskets.

When your running a turbo you want a pretty stock cam with minimal overlap or you will pressureize your exhaust, and loose power, what works for a turbo does not work for a NA engine and vice versa. stock cams and a mild,"torque" grind cam will give you the best results with a turbo

I didnt ask for specifics...i was aiming for price. He said something like a 270 duration...? Or something...

BUT... i got this email a few moments ago...

"Will -

Our best cam grind for a stock EA-82T engine is our SB-6000. It has a

duration of 266 degrees and a lift of 0.400". This is a torque grind,

designed to provide more acceleration. The cost is $210 per cam, exchange.

You will need a Hi-RPM valve train to go with these cams and we have that

also. The price for the springs and retainers is $160.

- Carl at PAECO

(800) 326-640"

I am thinkign $130 for BOTH cams sounds better, and I bet I can get springs too for much less...maybe. I'll call delta again this evening and get specs.

Hmmm 266 duration and a 'torque' grind - not sure how that works. Long durations normally only assist at higher rpm where airflow is accellerated - low rpm and you have incomplete cylinder filling. On my car (260-270 duration I figure from the timing specs) the unburned hydrocarbons is phenomanal at lower speeds (which gives a clue to efficiency). I fall into a real flat-spot on 1st-2nd upchanges unless I rev out to near 6000rpm. On the upside - u do feel it when both boost AND cams kick in at 3000. Just a bitch in slow traffic.