Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Colors for 86 Dash

I went to the J-yard and got an 86 analogue dash to replace my ugly 87 digi. Before I do I am going to change the lighting scheme from the standard yellow-ish backlight to another set of colors. I was thinking of putting an orange or blue gel behind the numbers and leaving the needle the factory white color. I would love to do the VW Deep Blue / Red thing, but since the needles in the subie dash share the light from the background, I think that would be allot of work. Any suggestions on ways to change the dash backlighting?

And / or, you can just provide color suggestions here :

____________ needles, __________background.

i have changed my dash li8ghts from the light green to red. if you find an analog dash there are four lights for the backlighting of the dash. you can buy color bulbs from advanced auto parts made by victor they are lik 1.98 for two i bought 8 of them 4 blue and 4 red. you can see my analog dash on www.cardomain.com under subaru gl. my screen name is dragonsteel. it is a blue 88 gl sedan. the background for my webpage is the dash at speed on the highway. and if look on the second page i have pics there you can enlarge to see them better. i hope i helped get back to me tell me what you think. Ken:burnout: :headbang:

(This is in my 84,)

I painted the foreground (the plastic piece) that surrounds the gauges and info center Gloss White. Then, in the pods that shine light onto the gauge faces, I swapped in a blue lense. So I have a really mellow blue glow from the entire cluster at night, and nice contrasting Black faces on a white field in daylight.

I dont know why - but I find this funny - I guess this is one mod I didnt think many people did

still, Ive always liked the stock amber gauges on my '85 - always clear and unobtrusive.......

anyway - there are filters in the dash lighting you could probably change to achieve the desired result..... and there's always LED's

(This is in my 84,)

I painted the foreground (the plastic piece) that surrounds the gauges and info center Gloss White. Then, in the pods that shine light onto the gauge faces, I swapped in a blue lense. So I have a really mellow blue glow from the entire cluster at night, and nice contrasting Black faces on a white field in daylight.

Thats funny,I had the same idea for mine.The only difference is I want to paint the tips of my needles with a phosforescent color so they glow.(Used to use that paint for the sights of my gun when hunting in low light.)