Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In our 2003 TS automatic, mostly back highways between 55-65 mph with some freeway at 75-80 and some in town as well. The AC was running most of the time, as was the cruise control. Oh, and a very stiff tail wind for 300 of those miles didn't hurt!

:banana:

Steve

I just recorded 31.3 and 32.1 mpg on the last two tank fillups on my '95 Legacy 5MT. The conditions are fairly ideal, as most of my driving is done 50-60 in slightly rolling hills (in VT).

I was getting 24-27mpg with 80% city driving before I moved two months ago. With the rising cost of fuel, I'm happy with the increases I've seen (offset by the increased miles I put on, however).

Reminds me of a 1970's movie where after tiring of bragging rights and gas mileage, a neighbor started adding gas to the other fellows car at night until the fellow nearly peed himself bragging that he was now getting close to 80 miles per gallon. Shortly thereafter... yup, he reversed his behavior and started siphoning off gas and watched as his neighbor reached near suicidal levels of despair over 3 mile per gallon conditions.

Reminds me of a 1970's movie where after tiring of bragging rights and gas mileage, a neighbor started adding gas to the other fellows car at night until the fellow nearly peed himself bragging that he was now getting close to 80 miles per gallon. Shortly thereafter... yup, he reversed his behavior and started siphoning off gas and watched as his neighbor reached near suicidal levels of despair over 3 mile per gallon conditions.

That was a movie???!!!

I feel pretty stupid now. Somebody I used to work with told me that EXACT story and how they did that to another co-worker blah blah blah.... and I believed him and was so impressed that he came up with such a good idea. grr....

btw congrats on the gas mileage-- still waiting to break 30 myself

Yeah, bittersweet comedy, Pete 'n' Tillie (1972) starring Walter MAtthau and Carol Burnett mostly about a lackluster marriage but also about the special bonds developed when these parents of a dying child devote their time to ensuring a fun packed and as full as possible life in a short period of time for the kid.

BTW, woe is me my 2000 Legacy GT Auto has never broken 23MPG.

That was a movie???!!!

I feel pretty stupid now. Somebody I used to work with told me that EXACT story and how they did that to another co-worker blah blah blah.... and I believed him and was so impressed that he came up with such a good idea. grr....

btw congrats on the gas mileage-- still waiting to break 30 myself

BTW, woe is me my 2000 Legacy GT Auto has never broken 23MPG.

Yeah, thats what having turbos does :D

I manage 20-21mpg on my daily commute (75/25 open/traffic), and get close to 24mpg on the open road in the B4, according to my at-the-fuel-pump mental calculations (do any subs have trip computers???). I am hoping a K&N air filter will improve things and have seriously considered fitting a fuelstar.:eek:

I'm sure the car can do better, maybe its just the lead in my right foot :grin:

No turbo in my 2000 Legacy GT. I think the automatic versus manual transmission lowers my mileage.

Yeah, thats what having turbos does :D

I manage 20-21mpg on my daily commute (75/25 open/traffic), and get close to 24mpg on the open road in the B4, according to my at-the-fuel-pump mental calculations (do any subs have trip computers???). I am hoping a K&N air filter will improve things and have seriously considered fitting a fuelstar.:eek:

I'm sure the car can do better, maybe its just the lead in my right foot :grin:

Well, ours is an auto... and I think Subie autos tend to do as well as 5-speeds on mileage, sometimes even better. But being the base model Impreza with the same engine as your 2000 GT, it's undoubtedly hauling less around. Maybe the bugeyes are more aerodynamic :D. Not sure about the gearing differences. Oh, and the car only has 25K miles on it, it's just a pup.

This car has done 30+ MPG before, numerous times, nearly always on back highways at 60 mph or so. It really likes that speed for good mileage. The speed is a big factor... anything over 60-65 and it starts to drop fast. The tailwind on the return trip was big... it was really blowing... and cruise control helps for sure.

Around town it gets an unimpressive 20-22, but no complaints as we didn't expect more than that. Pleasantly surprised with the hwy mileage though.

Steve

No turbo in my 2000 Legacy GT. I think the automatic versus manual transmission lowers my mileage.

Yeah, thought about that after I posted, but then the 'net got so slow I gave up.

Yours would be the US-spec 2.5L I guess? I think all the GT's in NZ were twin-turbo ej20's.

I filled up tonight, after emptying the tank that had a bottle of wynns injector cleaner, and got 25mpg, admittedly after mostly highway cruising.:banana: