Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My speedometer died on my 1996 Legacy wagon (2.2 manual trans) Shortly afterwards, the CEL (check engine light) came on. And the odometer is not working either.

First, is it ok to drive with the CEL on? In otherwords, is the engine getting fuel mixture info or something from the speedometer?

Second, is the most likely culprit the cable...and how much of a pain is it to replace? I'm guessing I'll have to tear half the dash apart? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated.

No cable, all electric. You'll have to pull the code to see what the cel is trying to say.

I had a 96 that the speedo quit working on, changed the sensor at the tranny, no luck.

Changed the speedo, no luck. Car ran fine with no cel on.

Finally ended up at the dealer who traced it to a bad connection in the harness, deep in the dash,,, $180 deep in the dash.

Thanks.......That explains why I couldn't find a cable when I crawled under the car. Not like the good(?) old days. I've got an old '60 chevy that has enough room under the dash to throw a dance with a 5 pc band. Well, I guess it's off to the shop, and hope it's a sensor, eh?

The gauge pod is easy to pull, but tight. There are 4 connectors at the back. Lower the steering wheel all the way. Pull the 4 screws from the trim. Pull the 4 screws from the gauge pod and pull it out a little. Remove the connectors, 3 along the top, one in the back.

Make sure the screws holding the speedo head are clean and tight, these are the connection points from the circuit board.

If you need a gauge pod, let me know. Larry

I have the same car as you, and my speed sensor died a few years ago, it was replaced easily and quickly. the speed sensor is on the transmission.

I think that the failure of the vss itself is more likely than a bad connection, etc. If you replace the VSS and the speedo still doesn't work, then you will need to look further.

matt

Update: I took it to the local Subaru guys, and they ran the code. They say it's the sensor. I think I'm going to let them do the job...the labor shouldn't be too much and I don't want to end up replacing the sensor and then finding it's something else. Thanks for the help.

exact same thing happened to me a few months ago on my 1997 outback, my mechanic changed the sensor for bout 160 bucks including the "code

" cost, that's probably the problem, good luck!

Update: I took it to the local Subaru guys, and they ran the code. They say it's the sensor. I think I'm going to let them do the job...the labor shouldn't be too much and I don't want to end up replacing the sensor and then finding it's something else. Thanks for the help.