Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 outback seems to lag in 3rd gear. Driving from the Canyon Rd exit to highway 26 on 217 in beaverton (a long incline on the highway), i needed to accelerate relatively quick to merge. It shifted down from Overdrive, but that didn't seem to give enough power, then it shifted down again (up to 3500-4000 rpm) somewhat abruptly, and as it got up to speed and shifted back up, the car would shudder when I stepped on the accelerator. This problem stopped when I sped up again and got onto more level highway. Any ideas?

My 96 outback seems to lag in 3rd gear. Driving from the Canyon Rd exit to highway 26 on 217 in beaverton (a long incline on the highway), i needed to accelerate relatively quick to merge. It shifted down from Overdrive, but that didn't seem to give enough power, then it shifted down again (up to 3500-4000 rpm) somewhat abruptly, and as it got up to speed and shifted back up, the car would shudder when I stepped on the accelerator. This problem stopped when I sped up again and got onto more level highway. Any ideas?
Lack of power and shuddering under power suggests a misfire under load. When's the last time you've service the plugs and/or wires?

I 'spose the coil-pack on it's way out could cause that too.

**** ******!

I got a tune up a few weeks ago, every once in a while the check engine light comes on with a cylinder 4 misfire code. But the last time this happened, no check engine light came on. I haven't noticed any black smoke, and I don't know when the fluid was last changed. I bought the car from a dealer in january. I despise gremlins.

clogged cat would be all the time at the same rpm, he says once the car downshifts it goes. A clogged cat acts a s a restriction and would also do it on level ground.

If the tranny has never been serviced, it should be done. i still think its a igniton/fuel issue, nothing with starvation, more of a sensor issue. If it was fuel starvation he would have the reverse problem, as the revs increased, the demand for fuel increases. Since it does go once it downshifts, that can be ruled out.

nipper

Just got the tranny serviced, new timing belt, water pump, and a couple other pieces of cheap insurance in the front end (all for $520). Car shifts a lot better, haven't had any noticeable lagging problems, but I've also been avoiding the long high speed inclines. CEL came on again with a cylinder 4 misfire, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance. Still can't figure out if the misfire is a computer glitch, a fuel injector, gas cap, or what. But I'm not gonna complain until it acts up again.

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm sure I'll be needing more before too long.