Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 legacy wagon trailer hitch?

The info i've found (cars101 and some 'subaruaccessories' site) says there's not an option for a hitch, but I just bought a used one and i want to tow a trailer with a small older 16 foot boat that's probably 900 lbs or so. anyway, I need a hitch and don't even know if this is a possibility with such a car. any suggestions/specs?

I got a hitch put on my 2002 Legacy Wagon no problem. I tow a boat that sounds very similar to yours. My hitch was put in by a place called R V Hitches 'N Welding. It is in Olympia, WA so not much help for you in Maryland. Their number is (360) 456-6100 if you'd like to give them a call. I am sure though that any place that installs hitches on cars could tell you what you need. Good luck.

The info i've found (cars101 and some 'subaruaccessories' site) says there's not an option for a hitch, but I just bought a used one and i want to tow a trailer with a small older 16 foot boat that's probably 900 lbs or so. anyway, I need a hitch and don't even know if this is a possibility with such a car. any suggestions/specs?

If you install the tail light harness hookups....make sure and go OEM

I had an aftermarket cable hookup installed at U-Haul...and it fried nearly all of my electronics.

My CD system, internal cab lights, and cruise control have not worked since :slobber::banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Check out Hidden Hitch. (http://www.hiddenhitch.com) They have one for all Legacy's except Outback. I've been happy with their hitches, having one on my 96 Legacy and also on my 03 CRV. They are reasonably priced; I got mine from JC Whitney. Installation is easy with no drilling, and they are pretty rugged.

I can't advise on wiring. I've been doing my own since 1970, but this new electronics stuff is all voodoo to me.

This is a good suggestion, I just had one put on a 97 Chev. Lumina and I went to the places on the net that came up under hitches and they will tell what fits what and show pictures of most.

Check out Hidden Hitch. (www.hiddenhitch.com) They have one for all Legacy's except Outback. I've been happy with their hitches, having one on my 96 Legacy and also on my 03 CRV. They are reasonably priced; I got mine from JC Whitney. Installation is easy with no drilling, and they are pretty rugged.

I can't advise on wiring. I've been doing my own since 1970, but this new electronics stuff is all voodoo to me.