Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st gen 4EAT flashing powerlight

hey guys hows it going? i asked this same question over at legacycentral, nasioc, and rslibertyclub and got no help so i have come to you!

well my car does a few weird thing

when i start my car with the fwd fuse in, the power light will come on, not flash then go out. and the car drives just fine.

but then i start the car with out the fuse in (awd) the power light will come on, flash a few times, then go out. and also when i drive away with out that fuse in, it stays in 1st gear up untill around 4000rpm then it will shift. it only does that the 1st time you drive after starting it up though.

so what could cause it to stay in 1st like that?

and is the flashing power light bad and what can i do about it?

i checked the tcu codes

and came up with it it flashing 3 times then did two quick flashes then 3 then two quick and so on

does that mean that its

"32 Vehicle speed sensor 1" ?

what can i do about that and would that be making it stay in 1st like that?

good job pulling the codes, that's a tricky process on the ones i've seen.

check the fluid first.

the transmission speed sensor is located on the rear extension housing, i believe it's an external sensor and you can probably test it fairly easily. maybe you should check the connections first (make sure it's plugged in and the wires look good) from under the car. it's very close to where the rear driveshaft slides into the transmission. test continuity of the sensor and it's resistance and see if it matches what someone else gets off of a good unit. someone here probably have one lying around they can test for you to compare too. i'm not sure where to get those spec's from. maybe it's in the FSM too if someone wants to post that.

Try resetting the TCU. Pull the EGI/TCU fuse for 30 minutes or so. If you still have the problem, you've got an issue with the wiring or the sensor itself.

You can use this scan to figure out which pins are the VSS 1.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/6-3_at_control2.jpg

Take a resistance reading across the two pins, No. 16 & No. 9 of the B16/E19 connector. The resistance should be 450 - 650 ohms.