Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The rear wiper on my ’98 Legacy seems to be on the way out? It was working great, and then suddenly one day the wiper started going really slow. It wasn’t long after that when it wouldn’t go at all. It would start, make it about ¼ of the way across the arc, and then get stuck. If you gave it a nudge, it would complete the arc back and forth (slowly), then get stuck again in the same place. Now it doesn’t move at all.

Any thoughts? If the motor has to be replaced, is the process easy, or difficult?

Urban Coyote

can you hear the motor running when trying to utilize the rear assy?

if not... it's dead....

never swapped one, but it cannot be too terribly difficult.

to get an idea on pricing for a new one?

1)go here:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

2) look up by part number - - 86511AC101

These have got to be available used as well

the only problem with used is... how long will it last?

hope this helps

Jamie Thomas

Jamie at chaplins.com

logo.gif

http://www.subiegal.com

Well, Im not sure if its EXACTLY the same, but on my old '93 wagon, the rear wiper did the same thing. The motor itself was fine, but when the japanese build things, they usually do so with VERY tight tolerances. What Im trying to say is if you get even the smallest amount of rust in between the motor shaft and the tube it rides in....it will seize up, and bog that motor right down. I pulled mine apart, drilled it out ever so slightly (but not so much as to add slop to the shaft) and greased 'er good. Never again had a problem, and she's still goin today!:headbang:

I've had this happen too often on my legacies...........

The shaft rusts, wiper quits, and it doesn't take all that much rust or corrosion, maybe even dirt to stop it..............

I always fear breaking the window when messing with these...........

mine has been out for 2 years now..........

These are a relatively easy item to resurrect. What happens to them is that the white metal casting they use for the motor case and gearbox reacts with the steel shaft that comes through the casting out the glass. The two corrode and seize up the shaft. As long as you get to fix it before it stays seized for too long, you'll be able to get the unit apart, clean and lube it up and be back in business. Pull the unit out of the tailgate (and unless you are really clumsy, you won't break the rear glass). I've had two units out over the years and have had no difficulties. After removing the wiper arm bolt cover (plastic cover just pops off) undo the 10 mm nut, lift off the wiper arm, pull off the large rubber sheild ring underneath. Undo the large nut holding the wiper shaft to the glass. Remove the interior panel and undo the wiring harness connector and the three 10mm bolts that hold the wiper assembly to the tailgate, and slide the unit out. Now drill out the rivets that hold the entire unit together at the gearbox, pry it open, clean everything, lube with white grease, put back together, bolt it together with new bolts where the rivets were, test by hooking it up to the wiring harness and turning on the switch, smile at a job well done, and reinstall everything. It really is a simple DIYer. Good Luck!

These are a relatively easy item to resurrect. What happens to them is that the white metal casting they use for the motor case and gearbox reacts with the steel shaft that comes through the casting out the glass. The two corrode and seize up the shaft. As long as you get to fix it before it stays seized for too long, you'll be able to get the unit apart, clean and lube it up and be back in business. Pull the unit out of the tailgate (and unless you are really clumsy, you won't break the rear glass). I've had two units out over the years and have had no difficulties. After removing the wiper arm bolt cover (plastic cover just pops off) undo the 10 mm nut, lift off the wiper arm, pull off the large rubber sheild ring underneath. Undo the large nut holding the wiper shaft to the glass. Remove the interior panel and undo the wiring harness connector and the three 10mm bolts that hold the wiper assembly to the tailgate, and slide the unit out. Now drill out the rivets that hold the entire unit together at the gearbox, pry it open, clean everything, lube with white grease, put back together, bolt it together with new bolts where the rivets were, test by hooking it up to the wiring harness and turning on the switch, smile at a job well done, and reinstall everything. It really is a simple DIYer. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone!

I will give it a try as there doesn't seem to be anything to loose at this point other than a little time and effort :)

Too bad they didn't make the motors a little tougher. My Loyale's rear wiper works a-ok after 15 years....I was surprised to see my Legacy one go on me.

Urban Coyote