Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP: Dome Light LED Replacement Bulb

I need to replace the dome bulb on my 2000 Forester. It's a DE3175. (The same bulb is used in the map light.) Can someone suggest a place to purchase an LED bulb instead of the standard bulb. Remember the space is limited in the dome light. Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:eek:

I need to replace the dome bulb on my 2000 Forester. It's a DE3175. (The same bulb is used in the map light.) Can someone suggest a place to purchase an LED bulb instead of the standard bulb. Remember the space is limited in the dome light. Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:eek:

Ok. I can point you to a place for where to buy an LED replacement, but I wouldn't be doing you a favor. I bought LED replacements for my STi two weeks after I got it. My main reasoning was because I wanted them to be red. (easier on the eyes at night) Anyhow I installed them for one night, and then took them out. Here's the thing, the incandescant bulb that comes standard has a thin round wire for the filament. When it lights, it emmits light everywhere, in every direction around the axis of the bulb. LEDs on the otherhand are very directional. The LED bulb has a PCB in it with LEDS on both sides. You actually lose a lot of usable light by switching to LEDs for the interior lights since the light is only coming out in two directions. Basically you have to be careful to position the bulb so the LEDs point somewhere useful, and then it really cuts down on the light in the rest of the car. The prices on them aren't that bad, so if you try it and don't like it, you should only be out a few dollars, but I personally thought they didn't work well for interior lighting.

http://superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Good Luck,

Keith

Ok. I can point you to a place for where to buy an LED replacement, but I wouldn't be doing you a favor. I bought LED replacements for my STi two weeks after I got it. My main reasoning was because I wanted them to be red. (easier on the eyes at night) Anyhow I installed them for one night, and then took them out. Here's the thing, the incandescant bulb that comes standard has a thin round wire for the filament. When it lights, it emmits light everywhere, in every direction around the axis of the bulb. LEDs on the otherhand are very directional. The LED bulb has a PCB in it with LEDS on both sides. You actually lose a lot of usable light by switching to LEDs for the interior lights since the light is only coming out in two directions. Basically you have to be careful to position the bulb so the LEDs point somewhere useful, and then it really cuts down on the light in the rest of the car. The prices on them aren't that bad, so if you try it and don't like it, you should only be out a few dollars, but I personally thought they didn't work well for interior lighting.

http://superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Good Luck,

Keith

KEITH:

Thanks for the information and advice. I thought that the LED would be BRIGHTER than the incandescant bulb but I guess I'm wrong. Looks like I'll stick with a standard bulb.

~Howard

:banana: