Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to replace the front windshield wiper mortor

recently the front windshield wipers of my 99 Subaru legacy outback does not work right. both of them sometimes can stuck in the middle.

after a thorough check, I supprisingly found out that the gear box between the windshield wipper motor and the linkage is cracked. so my theory is that some one (i.e. my wife) turned on the windshield wiper while they were frozen to to windshield and the force busted the gear box.

it seems like the piece belongs to the motor, I need to replace the all set. the repair shop want to chage 1.5 hour to replace the motor, but it seems not that hard even for me to do it myself. besides the linkage, there 3 bolts fix the motor to the body, plus some electrical wires.

can some one give a advice if this is as easy as it seems? if i want to do it myself, where can I get the procedure? any caveats?

thanks in advance.

might have a tough time finding someone who's replaced these. they don't go bad often, particularly a 99.

the older ones aren't too hard. i think there are two "hidden screws" to remove the plastic cover.

the dealer may let you take a look at the FSM which will show the procedure for removing them. FSM is also available for purchase, they are excellent but steep in price. there are also Haynes manuals available for $20 or so that may have some good information in it. they are manufacturer and model specific for the most part. any auto parts store should carry these and maybe you can have a look in it to see if it gives wiper motor replacement instructions.