Ultimate Subaru Message Board

slightly stranger thing happening to my 1997 outback wagon, one headlight is dim and doesn't even come on full power when i switch on the brights.........is this an electrical issue or maybe just a connection issue between the bulb and the wiring harness? I have tried numerous bulbs to no avail, any help please would be appreciated, tahnks! David:confused:

From your description it sounds like there is a ground lead problem to the light. The way I understand your post is the light gets dimmer or turns off on high beam. This would indicate that the common ground has a problem because as more current is needed for the high beam then more voltage drop will occur across the bad connection due to the current demand. Since the light and the bad connection are in series, the higher drop of voltage across the bad spot will mean less voltage across the light, so it goes dim or out.

An easy way to verify a bad ground is to tie a jumper wire between a good ground point and the light grounding pin. If that makes the light work then you need to trace that ground wire to the light. Check the socket to make sure it is not the problem. A bad connection will most likely damage the socket.

slightly stranger thing happening to my 1997 outback wagon, one headlight is dim and doesn't even come on full power when i switch on the brights.........is this an electrical issue or maybe just a connection issue between the bulb and the wiring harness? I have tried numerous bulbs to no avail, any help please would be appreciated, tahnks! David:confused:

Had EXACTLY the same thing on my legacy, the problem was a BURNT FUSE that blowed because of short circuit at one of the headlight connectors.

I replaced the headlight connector (the one with the 3 pin's inside that connects to the bulb) and replaced the fuse (15A, blue).

To locate the exact fuse - pull out the fuse and inspect it visual. do not use a check bulb. The fuse is in the fuses/relays box (color: black) near the engine.

Dont forget to update us... :)

Itzik

ok, i checked the connector, although it is bad and starting to melt, the quick fix was to just put in a new fuse, need to get some new connectors soon.......anyone know what aftermarket headlights would work best? I've been using the Sylvania Silverstars

although it is bad and starting to melt, the quick fix was to just put in a new fuse

Told you so :-)

In my legacy both connectors has been replaced in the past few years. The right side was much before when the previous onwer had the car, the left side was 6 monthes ago (i own the car for more then 2 years).

I used aftermarket connector from local parts store, so far so good. You have to cut the old connector and solder the new one. Cut the wires one by one and connect the same side wire from the new connector. after that solder the connections and isolate them.

Izik

thanks for the advice!!!!

Told you so :-)

In my legacy both connectors has been replaced in the past few years. The right side was much before when the previous onwer had the car, the left side was 6 monthes ago (i own the car for more then 2 years).

I used aftermarket connector from local parts store, so far so good. You have to cut the old connector and solder the new one. Cut the wires one by one and connect the same side wire from the new connector. after that solder the connections and isolate them.

Izik