Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 loyale 4x4- HELP!?

I jus bought a 1992 loyale 4x4, Ive been tryin to find the answer to the question on this site but couldnt exactly find it. So i figured Id just ask

when I push the 4x4 button, it sounds like it engages, but the light dosent come on. I dont know how to test if it is even in 4x4.

The guy I bought it from told me that a couple years back he went to use it and the vacum that engages the 4x4 came unconnected and if it didnt work, that this was probably the problem.

Keep in mind that i am probably the biggest newb there is on this site so I need somne help! I dont know much about cars.... So what Im trying to figure out if theres a way for me to fix it without bringing it to a shop and getting ripped off????:confused:

Well, one way to test would be to get on loose gravel...and then (in 2wd) take off fast from a stop and try to get the front wheels to break loose and "peel out". Then push the 4wd and do the same...you shouldn't spin the front tires as much, if any.

Where in oregon are you? I'm in Eugene.

Well, one way to test would be to get on loose gravel...and then (in 2wd) take off fast from a stop and try to get the front wheels to break loose and "peel out". Then push the 4wd and do the same...you shouldn't spin the front tires as much, if any.

Where in oregon are you? I'm in Eugene.

even on pavement, you should be able to peel out a bit in 2wd, in 4wd on pavement you shouldnt be able to peel out at all

Wow, I'm going through the same problem in my 93, however, I have figured out a way to get it into 4wd and out, but you don't use the button.

1. Open your hood.

2. Look for 2 solenoids right next to eachother(they are on the far right corner by the driverside dash) The solenoid on the left, is the one that engages 4WD. Have someone press the 4wd button, you should here a click at this solenoid.

3. If it IS clicking but your still not getting enough vacuum while the 4WD button is pressed (like me) heres what I do, pay attention, take the vacuum hose from the RIGHT solenoid, and put it onto the LEFT solenoid, (just let the extra hose dangle). Now, you need to take the tip of your finger and plug the top(where the hose used to be) of the RIGHT solenoid. It should engage if you have the same problem as me so check if the dash light comes on, if it does switch the hoses back to where they were.

4. Shut the hood.

5. Done

If that doesn't do it, heres a few thing to check out/replace.

The 4WD solenoid commonly fails, as do vacuum hoses over time. check the vacuum canister for leaks (its that white canister that is mounted sideways on the upper left passenger side under the hood, The 4WD diaphgram(the thing that engages the 4WD) might be faulty/leeky.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

2.txt

post-16154-13602760787_thumb.jpg

I have a 91 Loyale. No lights, bells, or whistles come on when I engage 4wd. But I know it works cus I went and tried it on some loose gravel then climbed a steep hill.

If you wanna know FOR SURE try it out in a parking lot and go slow in a tight sircle

....you'll no it it is on or not because your tire will like skip. and sqeauk

WOW! thanx for your help everyone but the funny thing is..... before I even read these today I got up around 7:30 and left my house to go snowboarding. when I got to the bottom of timberline road I pushed the 4x4 button just to test it. I must have gotten some good ol' subaru luck becuase about halfway up the road I noticed the light came on and IT WAS WORKING!!!! I was soo stoked I just ralleyed around in the snow for awhile before I hit the slopes!!

But thanx again for your help everyone:D

Hi all..in australian delivered subi,s..we dont have push button 4wd d/r ea82,s.....they all have this neatly tucked away lever on the centre console and it always works...but the recurculated air control on the dash is a vacuum button..this does not seem to give any drama..though..:cool:

Hi all..in australian delivered subi,s..we dont have push button 4wd d/r ea82,s.....they all have this neatly tucked away lever on the centre console and it always works...but the recurculated air control on the dash is a vacuum button..this does not seem to give any drama..though..:cool:

That's the same deal with the 4wd D/R trannys here. Its only the S/R 4WD trannys that are push button.