Ultimate Subaru Message Board

120k Tune-up parts and questions

First I want to say hello to everyone and say this great message board. Hello.

Here are my questions.

I will be completing part of the 120k service myself and wanted to know which parts work best with the Subaru. The Subaru I will be working on is a 95 Legacy L with a 2.2l engine.

Stuff I will completing:

Spark Plugs

Sprak wires

02 sensor

PCV

Air filter (probaly K&N)

I read that NGK or Denso are the best spark plugs for the car, but have not located the part for the NGK or Denso OEM or platinum replacements. Which spark plug is the better choice or are both fairly equal. A part number for the proper NGK or Denso plugs would be appreciated. While on the topic of spark which brand of spark plug wire would provide an upgrade and work well with the car?

What is the torque spec for the plugs?

Do I need to use anti-seize?

Which O2 sensor is better the Bosch or Denso for the Legacy? I have been told Bosch and a few other brands do not well with Subaru’s.

I am having the timing belt change by the repair shop; are there any associated parts (gaskets, seals, water pump, belts etc) which need to be replaced? Are there any associated repairs which are required when changing the timing belt? What is the average price for a timing belt replacement?

The shop will be changes the fluids as well.

Any other recommended repairs or check not listed on the Subaru 120K service interval which should be completed at this time?

Thank You

NGK or ND are fine. I'd recommend the copper plugs over the platinum plugs....they just seem to run better.

NGK or Magnecor wires are fine.

I do use anti-seize....some don't

I'd recommend you replace the water pump & thermostat while their in their replacing the belt. You'll need a gasket as well. ONLY use a subaru thermostat (I'd recommend you use subaru parts. They tend to last longer and be of better quality then some of the auto parts store. Check out www.subarugenuineparts.com for cheaper prices)

I'd also recommend you have the oil pump removed, have them check the tightness of the screws on the backing plate, re-tighten them if needed, and put a dab of locktight on them. there's an o-ring in there that goes between the block & oil pump, you should replace that too. The oil pump is sealed with silicone, permatex ultra gray works.

It'd also be a good idea to replace the front cam & crank seals, and the o-ring on the passenger side cam cover.

If it looks like your valve covers are leaking, replace the grommets. They tend to get hard, and leak there. The gasket itself usually is ok.

Those are the biggys....if you do all that stuff, you'll be saving yourself headache and money in the long run.