Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just purchased a 1995 Impreza 1.8 L coupe with 116 k miles.

These is a small amount of white oil foam in the radiator and over flow tank but no bubbles.

I'm not sure if someone pored some oil in the over flow tank or if it getting oil into the

coolant from the engine. The engine cranks and runs fine. Have drove it very little on the

road because I have tagged it yet.

What would cause that ? Maybe a head Gasket or cracked block/head ?

Is there anyway to test or check 4 sure?

By the state inspection stick I would assume the car has been parked for awhile. 09/04

The car has been vandalized and the Ignition key switch and

steering column cover has be ripped out of it.

What is involved in replacing this? Does the airbag and steering wheel have to be pulled to do

the replacement. I have a local salvage yard that has the whole steering assembly

for $125. I've got everything electrical working except the wiper washers.

Should I try to find the ignition key switch assembly ( total of 5 wires) and cover alone or

buy the whole steering wheel assembly ? Need to save a few bucks if I can..

Is the key switch assembly proprietary to just a few years and models or is it

pretty much the same in most Subies.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

You can try getting the coolant sniffed for hydro carbons.....that may tell you if it's a HG issue. They're not always full proof. I'd recommend flushing the system & the overflow, refill, and just keep an eye on it.

If you get the entire steering column, you should be able to just swap the stuff over. You'll need to take the steering wheel off to get the surrounding trim off the column to get at the ignition key. if you can find an ignition with the connector still in-tact then you could replace the wiring all the way down to the plug.

If you want to do that, try and find something from a similar year.

before anything else, check the HG. is this an automatic? tow ways to get oil in the radiator, a leaking tranny cooler or a blown HG. clean the overflow, and look at the coolant in the radiator, do you see oil in there? Start the car with the cap off and let it idle for a while and see if you see alot of bubbles.

a 1.8L shouldnt have a blown HG but its possible, especially if it was beaten on when stolen

nipper

I had planned on flushing out cooling system and tank and seeing if the oil comes back.

I found the complete steering column with a key for $125. Not sure what all that includes. Salvage yard will only sell it in a total package. Shame because all I need is the ignition key assembly and cover.

Guess I should feel lucky to find it at all. Don't mind the $125 if I don't have to replace head gaskets.. That got me thinking hard about keeping it.

Thanks for your help..

You can try getting the coolant sniffed for hydro carbons.....that may tell you if it's a HG issue. They're not always full proof. I'd recommend flushing the system & the overflow, refill, and just keep an eye on it.

If you get the entire steering column, you should be able to just swap the stuff over. You'll need to take the steering wheel off to get the surrounding trim off the column to get at the ignition key. if you can find an ignition with the connector still in-tact then you could replace the wiring all the way down to the plug.

If you want to do that, try and find something from a similar year.

No this a manual shift..

Anyway to know which HG maybe leaking ?

I'm not seeing any bubbles just white oil foam in the tank and in top of radiator. If it's the HG than it's a very small leak.

How long should I let it idle ? Does the thermostat need to open ?

What is the chances of it being a crack block or head ?

Maybe from frezzing this winter ? Just guessing...

Thanks for your help Nipper.

before anything else, check the HG. is this an automatic? tow ways to get oil in the radiator, a leaking tranny cooler or a blown HG. clean the overflow, and look at the coolant in the radiator, do you see oil in there? Start the car with the cap off and let it idle for a while and see if you see alot of bubbles.

a 1.8L shouldnt have a blown HG but its possible, especially if it was beaten on when stolen

nipper

No this a manual shift..

Anyway to know which HG maybe leaking ?

I'm not seeing any bubbles just white oil foam in the tank and in top of radiator. If it's the HG than it's a very small leak.

How long should I let it idle ? Does the thermostat need to open ?

What is the chances of it being a crack block or head ?

Maybe from frezzing this winter ? Just guessing...

Thanks for your help Nipper.

i would let it idle untill the thermostat opens. You may get a huge glub when it opens, thats not what your looking for. It will be continous bubbles.

i think on this entire list there have been two cracked piston sleeves, and that came from extreeme over heating. Those engines also knocked.

HG's go with age, once the car reaches over 100K it can happen to any car, but very rare on the 1.8L. i think you can buy a kit form an autoparts store that will tell you if exhaust gasses are in the coolant.

Flush the system several times, then out in antifreeze. Drive the car and see what happens, then report back.

nipper

I flush out the coolant several times. Can't tell for sure if oil is getting into coolant or not. Guess I need to put it on the road. I will tag it today and go from there. I thought at one time it migh be throwing coolant out the tail pipe, but once engine warmed up it stopped.

I changes oil and filter and let the oil set in the catch pan over night.

No water was in bottom of pan.

BTW, would you know how much oil it takes for a EJ18 ? I put in 4 qts and it looks ok on the oil stick. Also what kind of socket is used to replace the spark plugs? I've got four 13/16 sockets and none of them will fit in the plug hole.

Thanks for your help.

Oil in coolant would happen when engine is cold most likely. Water expands and pressurizes, so if there is a way for the 2 fluids to interact, the water wins with higher pressure. I bet it went for a hell ride from cold stolen start.Sitting the 1.8 is miraculous cure.....:)

Oil in coolant would happen when engine is cold most likely. Water expands and pressurizes, so if there is a way for the 2 fluids to interact, the water wins with higher pressure. I bet it went for a hell ride from cold stolen start.Sitting the 1.8 is miraculous cure.....:)

except that water is at about 14 psi, and oil goes between 10 and 60 psi

nipper

Today I tagged and put the Impreza on the road. It seem to do fine so far.

No over heating at all. There is still some gunk in the radiator and over flow tank. I hope this is just residue left over from where the car set. I'm going to flush it again until I get it all out.

Anyone out there have a 1.8 L engine ? I need to know where to find specs on amount of motor oil engine takes. Also how to change Spark plugs? I can't get a socket to fit into the plug hole..

Thanks again for all the help..