Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Per the Chiltons book tested and/or replaced both the coil pack & ignitor module, no help. Checked the computer, it has a code #24 (air control valve). Which air control valve is it? At the coil pack I have 12v with key on at input wires #1,2&3, 4v with key off. The other tests chilton recommended were spark plug out resistance (ohms 1 to 2 test & 3 to 4 test, both were 0 ohms (O.L.) on the meter. The other test was input wire #1 to #2 wire (1 ohm) & #2 wire to #3 wire (1 ohm). My prior experience with mass air flow sensors have always been it will start but then immediately shutdown. I'm lost & I need your help!!!

you need air fuel and spark to run. SInce you confirmed you have no spark, have you checked to make sure the fuel injectors are operating (and the fuel pump). Do you have any spark at all or just assuming there is no spark. im guessing you have a bad cam or crank postion sensor. there are not many sensors that will kill the car. the only otehr one that will do it is the eng temp sensor for the cpu.

nipper

I have a no spark problem. nipper thanks for the input, but it is still an electrical problem of which I dont know how to solve. The gas guage shows 1/2 full so thats out of the equation, the no spark was confirmed by an old used spark plug cleaned & tested on a different system(worked) & a commercially available spark tester. Yes I am a shadetree mechanic this is a forum that is supposed to help...help me please!

Hate to sound unappreciative and/or stupid, but wouldn't the crank sensor show up as a code #11 & the cam sensor show up as a code #13 on the scan, if there was/is a problem with those sensors they should show up on the scan, this is only an asumption on my part, I dont know. The battery was replaced one day prior & the IACV was cleaned at the same time, the only code showing on the scan was #24 which is the IACV, I'm still lost & don't know where to turn. Again im still assuming that a problem with the IACV would cause a bad idle but not a no spark condition.I'm still lost, and still need help.

Well if the car is saying there is a problem with the IAC that would be a good place to start. I've had a problem where it will screw up 2 cylinders when the my IAC acts up. Cleaning it will not help if you are getting a code . What do you mean by which IAC valve?

Like nipper said another good spot to look is the crank and cam sensors.

Nobody here can see your car, hear your car, or tinker with it. Be patient there are a lot of smart people on this board and will get you pointed in the right direction. BTW, most people show a little more appreciation for the advice given on this forum.

Good Luck

Beezer

The computer is ONLY a tool, and not perfect when it comes to giving you errors. There have been many times when it does not show up as error.

There are a lot of talanted people here. I for one am an automotive engineering technician, there are others here that work in sooby shops, are tuners. The wealth of knowledge here on occasion has blown my mind.If you want it fixed fast, take it to a shop, if you want our advice, give us time to help you. What would take any of us 15-20 minutes to check, can take hours or days since your car is not in our driveways.

If you think we are useless, feel free to go someplace else.

You can also feel free to use the search feature here and do some research on your problem.

We are great at helping each other, we are great at joshing each other and occasionally but heads, but dont expect help after called "no help at all"

nipper

To All, I do apologise to this forum for my lack of confidence in the ability of the people that contribute to this forum. Nipper has actually solved a problem without responding to my problem. In an earlier thread he fixed the problem for someone else. I just used his instructions. I'm sorry I'f I offended anyone, that was not my intention. this site has always been informative & usefull, again I'f I offended anyone I am sorry it was not my intention.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert with EJ22s.

But I have noticed that the 3 in my experience do not want to start when the battery is a little low. By "not start", I mean that it cranks just fine but will not fire... if I recollect correctly, there is no spark.

So... it night behoove you to make sure that the battery is completely charged and try again.

i had a hot start problem on my newly aquired 96 legacy. my car experience is with vw's so i utilized the knowledge on this board and the search function to solve it.

subaru engines and their management systems are relatively simple. i got lots of advice that a no start condition could be related to the cam and crank angle position sensors. i ordered these as well as a temperature sensor online from liberty subaru in new jersey. prices were awsome (around $50.00).

these solved my starting problems. this a good, cheap thing to try on your problem. even if this doesn't fix it.....chances are you will need to replace these sensors soon.

if you give it a try, let us know how it works out.

one other thought from my vw audi experience. try cleaning the ground wires to the engine, particularly the one that grounds the ecu.

regards,

mark

The sensors may be ok so no code will be set in the ECU. There may be a problem with the ground to the ignitiors through the ECU. I'm not sure if the ground to the ignitor is internal or external to the ECU for this model year. There have been some posters here that have fixed a no spark problem by repairing a bad ground path in the ECU. It appears the power to the ignitor is ok since you saw 12 volts on the input.