Ultimate Subaru Message Board

External tranny cooler - where to get one?

make it so the fluid goes through the factory radiator first,
in my oppinion it is best to completely bypass the piss poor factory side tank lines and just use the dedicated cooler. a stand alone cooler will far exceed the cooling capacity of the radiator tank. and no need for the extra hoses, routing and clamps, just something else to leak. frankly i run one entire hose from the transmission to the cooler, just to have fewer clamps. some Subaru's have a hose to a metal line to the cooler. i remove the metal lines and install one piece rubber hose. don't think that's necessary but fewer clamps are better for me. Advanced Auto parts has a complete kit for $29.99, i think that's what they run and that's the smallest size they have. the smallest size they have is more than adequate for any subaru.

they come with plastic things that poke through the radiator, but i don't use them. i don't like messing with my radiators and you have to cut them off to remove the radiator. i use zip-ties and tie them the end of one coil to the center support where the hood latches and use another on the other end by the hoses to hold it in place and the hoses where i want them.

nah, it just builds your tranny some character :grin:

i'll be doing this this summer i think... when i was offroading the other day my 4EAT was PISSED OFF, i had the center clutch pack locked up, and i was giving it alot of nut, in some torquey situations... at one point i was going up.. the motor was at about 3.5-4k rpms.. and the car wasn't moving.. :eek: no problems with traction.. just a large lack of torque..... think i may have to change my fluid again :-\

the transmission fluid and transmission itself are designed to run at a certain temperature. running at the designed operating temperature should be your best bet and i can't imagine significant gains below that. overheating the fluid is bad and what you're trying to avoid.

Is it possible to "over-cool" the transmission fluid, or is this a case of, the cooler the better? I'm thinking about zero degree winter days.

According to the tips on etrailer's website, no...

"Tech Tips: Transmission fluid can not be over cooled, but it is critical in extreme cold conditions to allow the vehicle to warm up before driving. "

(bottom of page):

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=TRAN

It would be nice to have a bypass built-in to go around the cooler in the winter months here in the north.