Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternative gas saving ideas...

well as everybody knows the gas prices are a little steep, so i was doing some research for a alternative fuel ideas for my subaru and this is what i came through:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive#Experiment_at_your_own_risk

there is a guy with a 93 legacy doing this experiment and said that his gas mileage increased, so i'm doing it too on my 95 legacy LS wagon lets see where it goes.

i'll keep you all posted

regards

Neo :brow:

well as everybody knows the gas prices are a little steep, so i was doing some research for a alternative fuel ideas for my subaru and this is what i came through:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive#Experiment_at_your_own_risk

there is a guy with a 93 legacy doing this experiment and said that his gas mileage increased, so i'm doing it too on my 95 legacy LS wagon lets see where it goes.

i'll keep you all posted

regards

Neo :brow:

I just went through this last month with my 96 OBW after a lot of research on the web on the topic. I bought a quart of the pure acetone from Walmart and

added 2.5 to 3 ounces to every tank fill (10 - 12 gals typically).

Conclusion: I believe it improve my gas mileage by 1 to 2 mpgs, if that. I typically get around 24 mpg, and I was seeing an increase to a little over 25 mpg. I would say that the engine seem to run just a tad smoother (perhaps because of the higher octane acetone adds to the fuel) and certainly over a month's time of use I now have very clean fuel injectors.

I was hoping for better mileage improvement, but given the modern fuel injection systems on these cars are set about as lean as they can go, I'm not surprised. Probably would do better on cars that have carburators. So, the cost savings along with the hassle of having to add it to the tank on fillups is'nt worth it to me, other than cleaning out the fuel systems (acetone is a base component of some of commercial fuel system cleaners BTW).

Good luck, I hope you can do better. ;)

Well, in keeping with the title of the thread, remove all unnecessary weight - maybe even some necessary! lol! Take out any seats that aren't used, remove the spare and associated tools. Keep windows rolled up, especially at freeway speeds. Remove bike rack/whatever crossbars.

Oh, and only keep 1/3 tank of gas in the car to save even more weight.

Install vacuum gauge and take nipper's advice and drive while keepin the vacuum as high as possible.

any more gas saving tips out there?

Carl

hehe the driver should lose some weight! lol

well here are some partial results on the mileage on the first tank.

well it was 410 miles at almost at Empty mark and i filled it up with 14 gallons of gas, thats 29+mpg!!!!!!!! i got an extra 6mpg! it definetely pulls harder and it is smoother. all this with just 3oz of acetone. :eek:

welli am on the second tank of gas and i'll keep you all posted

Neo

Reduces Hydrocarbon Emissions Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60-percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone went from say 440 PPM to 195, as just one example. -- LaPointe

sounds like this could help modded cars pass emissions as well.

You would probably do better getting a vaccum gauge and mounting it on the dash, The higher the needle the better the gas mileage your getting.

nipper

Hi nipper, questions from a newbie here; anyone have suggestions where one would plumb in a vacuum gauge on an ej20 twin-turbo? Some early subarus(ea81?) apparently had unused ports on the intake manifold where you could 'plug-n-go' with your vacuum line, but I'm guessing I might have to tee into another line?

Is it really worth doing this? That is to say, is there an optimal rev range this will highlight to me, or should I just stick to the common sense approach, and use higher gears, go slower, etc.

hehe the driver should lose some weight! lol

well here are some partial results on the mileage on the first tank.

well it was 410 miles at almost at Empty mark and i filled it up with 14 gallons of gas, thats 29+mpg!!!!!!!! i got an extra 6mpg! it definetely pulls harder and it is smoother. all this with just 3oz of acetone. :eek:

welli am on the second tank of gas and i'll keep you all posted

Neo

Is this pure hwy driving?

I tried in city and there was no difference whatsoever.

Are you saying that you get 23 mpg regularly and now, with the same driving style and speed you get 29? This is remarkable. Maybe you just cleaned the injectors?

Hi nipper, questions from a newbie here; anyone have suggestions where one would plumb in a vacuum gauge on an ej20 twin-turbo? Some early subarus(ea81?) apparently had unused ports on the intake manifold where you could 'plug-n-go' with your vacuum line, but I'm guessing I might have to tee into another line?

Is it really worth doing this? That is to say, is there an optimal rev range this will highlight to me, or should I just stick to the common sense approach, and use higher gears, go slower, etc.

Do you not have a boost gauge on this car? You need a combination boost/vacume gauge. The best way for you to save gas is to keep off the boost. hehe i have to giggle here, i'm sorry but somone with a twin turbo anything wanting to save gas is like a ferrari v-12 owner complaining about gas mileage. Don't mean to pick on you, but everytime those turbos kick in, you can kiss gas mileage goodbye.

The other part of me REALLY wants to see a picture or three of this setup droool

nipper

Do you not have a boost gauge on this car? You need a combination boost/vacume gauge. The best way for you to save gas is to keep off the boost. hehe i have to giggle here, i'm sorry but somone with a twin turbo anything wanting to save gas is like a ferrari v-12 owner complaining about gas mileage. Don't mean to pick on you, but everytime those turbos kick in, you can kiss gas mileage goodbye.

The other part of me REALLY wants to see a picture or three of this setup droool

nipper

It is weird how acetone works for some and not for others.

This test shows no effect of acetone:

http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/july%202005.html

There is a link here where someone got lower MPG with acetone:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef047b3/739

When I did some research on this I found an official spec sheet for gasoline in India that gave a maximum limit (very small fraction of percent) for acetone in gasoline that suggested to me that acetone is not a desirable compound.

The issue of reseting ECU before testing is a nonissue as ECU relearns fuel trims within minutes.

I have tried acetone....with as much as a 4-5 mpg improvement sometimes (but not always worth the hassle to me :-\ ) Other than this, I actually bought a chip that fools your intake air temp sensor, and it does add a LITTLE power ...but actually adds MPG @ freeway speeds. (29+ mpg @ 75-80 mph, fully loaded with 3 people, 3 bikes, AND camping gear for 8 hours:headbang: )

Also, Has anyone tried this? http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Joe_Cell:Replication:Hotsabi%27s_e-Cell

I worked in the H2/fuel cell industry. You have a better chance of the president resigning then seeing H2 any time soon.

a few h2 facts, its more expensive then gasoline. H2 has a dramtically shorter range then gasoline. H2 would come from reforming natural gas, so there really is no escape from petrochemicals.

For anyone into reading dry goverment (UK) documents

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_024056-02.hcsp

The most honest report on H2 i have seen.

In the mean time, we just have to drive smarter. i still take comfort that my OBW gets better mileage then my neighbors 2 Excursions combined.

Now keeping in mind that a car consumes about 135 cubic feet of air a minute at 2000 rpm ((1800cc displacement x revolutions)/2 revs per cycle ), your car wont even notice that little amount of H2 being introduced into the air stream.

nipper