Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all-

I moved to the midwest (Wisconsin) with a 94 Impreza without air conditioning. I toughed out the first summer, but for multiple reasons will be needing A/C in the future.

I'd like to add it to this car, so I need to know if anyone has any experience, advice, mechanical information, ball park for price, etc. Anybody had this done professionally?

I know it could be expensive, but I was told by my mechanic that air was a dealer option for these models and so it might not be too hard. I was hoping I could buy the parts from a salvage yard and perhaps do the work myself, then get it charged.

The car is FWD, 1.8L, 5 spd. It has about 130k miles and is in very good condition. It spent most of its time in western Montana away from salt and extreme sun. I'm the third owner and have records for most of the maintenance. Bottom line: the car is paid for, is reliable, and I expect it to stay that way. I'm in grad school and don't have a lot of cash, PLUS, I'd like to be able to drive this for a couple years after graduation.

Thanks for all your help.

first thing see if a dealer has the kit. The kit is usually everything that goes under the hood (and since soobys dont change much may be around). The control panel may or may not be the same. If not go to a scrapyard and strip one with AC. Gte a haynes manual and make sure your grabbing all the relays too.

Also googel aftermarket automotive airconditioning. You may find a kit there too

nipper

Hello all-

I moved to the midwest (Wisconsin) with a 94 Impreza without air conditioning. I toughed out the first summer, but for multiple reasons will be needing A/C in the future.

I'd like to add it to this car, so I need to know if anyone has any experience, advice, mechanical information, ball park for price, etc. Anybody had this done professionally?

I know it could be expensive, but I was told by my mechanic that air was a dealer option for these models and so it might not be too hard. I was hoping I could buy the parts from a salvage yard and perhaps do the work myself, then get it charged.

The car is FWD, 1.8L, 5 spd. It has about 130k miles and is in very good condition. It spent most of its time in western Montana away from salt and extreme sun. I'm the third owner and have records for most of the maintenance. Bottom line: the car is paid for, is reliable, and I expect it to stay that way. I'm in grad school and don't have a lot of cash, PLUS, I'd like to be able to drive this for a couple years after graduation.

Thanks for all your help.

If you can do the work yourself (at least up to charging the system) you should be able to keep costs down. If the is a 'you-pull-it' type wrecking yard in the area, that would help too, their prices are usually lower then a regular wrecking yard. You'll want to find a 93 to 96 Impreza that has A/C then pull out everything that touches any part of the A/C system, the complete front wiring harness would help too. Then reinstall it in your car, all the holes and attach point should be there. It should take a few weeks of working nights and weekend to get it done. But the far easier way is to find a car that already has it, but the car, then sell yours.