Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Onother front axle question.

Suby 2 suffers from the front axle blues like suby 1 did.The after market boots do not last a couple months if I am lucky.Unfortunately the original owner of suby 1 had les schwab replace the axles as they would go out.One of les schwabs big brained mammals drove the spring pin out the wrong side of the axle and got it stuck.Too make things worse he got something stuck in the champhered side and tried to grind it out.So now I can ot get my drift punch in the side the darn pin was supposed to come out and the pin is stuck coming out the wrong hole.

The only fix I see is too try to drill it out ad hope for the best?Kind of tricky but.....Any other ideas?

I am sick and tired of changing axles on subys.I did four sets in a year and a half on suby one and bought suby 2 suffering from the same thing.I can change one in a few minutes but not the point,plus I get tired of smelling burnt grease!Do yopu guys think that the all expensive dealer part would solve this problem.Hell I got 180,000 out of the original.

well headed to forks for a weekend of fishing.It will be suby 2 maiden four hour drive so wish us well!:headbang:

Don't you mean small brained mammal? lol

The spring pin should drive out either way, even though the hole is only beveled on one side. Les Schwab should warranty their work. If not, and there is part of a spring pin on one side and something like the end of a pin punch broke off on the other side, I would try to drive the sring pin bach though and into the foriegn obstruction and drive it back out the way it came in.

I've had good luck with reman axles. Get some with a lifetime warranty. Hopefully they are better quality. I wouldn't even want to gues what the dealer would want for those...

It is something along those lines but i can not get the pin to reverse out and he has marred up the opposite side so bad I can't get a punch in there.I think I am left doing a little drilling.

I have had nothing but problems with after market axles.It is not the axles but the boots expire after only a few months.Tired of it!!!

thanks

greg:headbang: