Ultimate Subaru Message Board

taking out last section of drive shaft on AWD

Hi,

This is a followup to a post I made several weeks ago. I have had trouble logging on until now and want to see if I can get more info. I have a drive train binding problem with low speed sharp turns. 1995 outback wagon maanum trans AWD. Grossgary responded to my last post and suggested removing the last section of the driveshaft to make it a FWD car. I like this idea and was wondering if anyone could give me a little more detail before I go ahead with it. Should I mark the relationship between the yokes and the shaft so I can get the shaft back in the same place?

As I see it the front part of the driveshaft will be truning and held in place by the center bearing and the rear wheels will be spinning the rear differential. Is this right?

Anyway thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.:)

Bluebird

Check the large bushing on the rear of the control arm, if it has grease coming out of it, then it will also pop when making turns. The control arm is the largest peice of metal on the bottom front that looks like an A- frame. You will know this bushing because it is held in place with two large bolts.

you can't do that. The center diff isn't capable of transferring 100% of the power to the front or rear, so you'll basically end up sitting there with the rear output on the transmission spinning.

while this is tru on his manual tranny, the automatics can be made full FWD this way. also the "FWD" fuse holder dosen't make it true fwd, it locks the clutch pack in 90/10 split mode. disconnecting the driveshaft is a useful way to allow towing of any subaru by a normal 2 wheel tow truck.

Hi,

This is a followup to a post I made several weeks ago. I have had trouble logging on until now and want to see if I can get more info. I have a drive train binding problem with low speed sharp turns. 1995 outback wagon maanum trans AWD. Grossgary responded to my last post and suggested removing the last section of the driveshaft to make it a FWD car. I like this idea and was wondering if anyone could give me a little more detail before I go ahead with it. Should I mark the relationship between the yokes and the shaft so I can get the shaft back in the same place?

As I see it the front part of the driveshaft will be truning and held in place by the center bearing and the rear wheels will be spinning the rear differential. Is this right?

Anyway thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.:)

Bluebird

not going to work for the reasons stated here. It works like a differntial. If you have one wheel up in the air and have the car in gear, the other wheel isnt going to turn. Remove the driveshaft you are going to have the same situation. Even with the viscous coupling you need resistance to make that work.

nipper