Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil capacity and spark plug socket of EJ18

95 Impreza 5 sp. coupe 1.8L

Would you know how much oil it takes for a EJ18 ? I put in 4 qts and it looks ok on the oil stick. I know some of the subie engines take >4qts.

What kind of socket is used to replace the spark plugs? I've got four 13/16 sockets and none of them will fit in the plug hole. Boy was I surprised..

I also have a 98 legacy with 2.2L and an 01 Legacy with a 2.5L all three engines take the same oil filter.. That's amazing to me. Subaru has got their act together in more than one way..

Thank you

Its a 5/8 spark plug socket. Hardware store should have a socket for you. No need for a wobble on the socket if you ask me. 4.2-4.5 quarts with filter change.

What type of plug is recommended for the 1.8 L ?

Ok, it requires the same amount of oil as the 2.2..

I think I have a 5/8 deep socket.. Just had not idea it

wasn't a standard size plug. I have a box of BKR6E-11.

Assumed they were the replacement plug.

Any Idea where I can download a Owner manual ?

The "My Subaru" site only goes back to 1997..

Thanks for the info..

you'll really want a 5/8 sparkplug socket with the rubber ring or magnet built in, and not just a deep socket. The plugs sit a little ways down in the hole and pulling it out will not be easy without a sparkplug socket. Also make sure the compression washer comes out with it. The correct plug is BKR6E-11.

you'll really want a 5/8 sparkplug socket with the rubber ring or magnet built in, and not just a deep socket. The plugs sit a little ways down in the hole and pulling it out will not be easy without a sparkplug socket. Also make sure the compression washer comes out with it. The correct plug is BKR6E-11.

I really feel dumb now.. I had just replaced plugs in a Toyota truck prior to the Impreza and didn't remember the Subie having the smaller 5/8". I just looked at the BkR6E-11 and realized my brain was out to lunch.

Sorry for the CRS. I will try to do better..

Thanks for the wake up call..