Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long to wait before.....

I tow this suby on the side of the road home. It's been there for a couple of days now, it's gonna get towed anyways. The plastic under the column is gone, in the side of the pass. footwell is a bunch of connectors hanging out. Is this where the ecm goes? It's got a D/R 5spd and it's a GL. What do you guys think? Miles?

:burnout:

Kel

Depends - you want it for parts?

Basically the owner probably isn't comming back for it - if it sits more than a few days (on the side of the road) likely it's abandoned.

Now towing it yourself isn't on the right side of the law - unless you own a towing company and it's reported to you by the local government as towable.

Here's the difficulty - the tow company will tow it and then attempt to stick the owner with a huge tow bill that they likely will never pay. The car will then be auctioned or sold to a yard to cover *some* of the tow bill.... so in one respect you may be doing the owner a favor if you get it yourself - but that's a risk of course.

If it was me - I would let it sit. Maybe stop and pull some parts off it - only if it sits for a long time tho, and is obviously abandoned. Especially if the local kids have broken the windows, etc. Then I say pull whatever you can and leave the hulk for the tow company. You can't use the body anyway as you won't have a title and can't ever get one.

One more thing - if you do pull parts - do it during the day, and in plain view. If you try to be slick and covert people will suspect foul deeds. If you look like you are working on a broken car no one will bother you. They may even offer to help.

GD

So I did the right thing and called the cops to see if they could locate the owner and have him contact me. So the plates didn't match the car and they came and towed it :(. Hopefully when the nuisance abatement dude gets back from lunch he can get me on the fast track to a new(?!?) suby. :D

Cross your fingers,

Kel