Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Subaru Legacy 1998. Its only got 110k km on it. Looks like a great deal but the valve cover gaskets (or something like that) are leaking. Both. The dealer told me it would cost about $400CDN for each to repair.

any ideas on this? is this is a common problem? should a Subaru with 110k be leaking oil already?

I don't know if I should buy it because of this leak.

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Subaru Legacy 1998. Its only got 110k km on it. Looks like a great deal but the valve cover gaskets (or something like that) are leaking. Both. The dealer told me it would cost about $400CDN for each to repair.

any ideas on this? is this is a common problem? should a Subaru with 110k be leaking oil already?

I don't know if I should buy it because of this leak.

How much are they asking for it. The valve cover gaskets can be done yourself, and they may even just be loose. More imporatnt question ...

When was the timing belt/watermpump/tensioner/cam and main seals changed.

Keep in mind your buying a used car over 100,000 miles on it. It will not be perfect. It wil need work sometimes in the first 3-6 months of ownership, be it tires, brakes or timing belt.

Also there is a less then 15% chance it may need head gaskets in its future (someone is going to bring this up).

Have your own mechnaic check the car out. Check the color and smell of the tranny fluid. Drive the car making a figure eight in parking lot, see if acts weird. Inspect all the fluids to make sure all the fluid is what it shold be. Check the raditor for any bubbles. Make sure the car brakes straight and tracks straight.

You would do this with ane used car your about to buy.

nipper

Well, if it's just valve covers that are leaking and that's $400 for each side, then I'd say you were being charged too much. However, if it is an all-encompassing price to address all the various seals and gaskets that may leak oil in a Subaru, then that would be a pretty good deal. Subaru engines are notorious for oil leaks around gaskets and seals. If you tell us which engine is in this vehicle, (2.5 or 2.2 L), then we could tell you what else to look out for down the road.