Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a strange shift from 1st to 2nd gear

Hello,

I drove a Legacy 1998 GT Automatic.

The transmission seems fine, but if I drive really slow, and the tranny goes from first to second gear, it switches really fast and I can feel a bit of a jerk. Is this normal? or does this mean the tranny is close to being finished.

other gears are fine, they switch at normal pace and I can barely feel it shifting. but from first to second I notice the difference.

Hello,

I drove a Legacy 1998 GT Automatic.

The transmission seems fine, but if I drive really slow, and the tranny goes from first to second gear, it switches really fast and I can feel a bit of a jerk. Is this normal? or does this mean the tranny is close to being finished.

other gears are fine, they switch at normal pace and I can barely feel it shifting. but from first to second I notice the difference.

Get a tranny flush. Yes these trannies shift harsh, and i think that has something to dowith thier longevity.

nipper

It's been discussed before.

Yes, it's normal.

With light throttle, the first to second shift is a bit harsh, especially if you are lifting off the throttle a bit as the shift happens.

With moderate or more throttle, you don't notice it.

Just a Subaru quirk it seems. I have 490,000 km on my 97 OB now and the shift is still the same as always. I haven't had to touch the transmission, other than the clutch pack (for AWD).

Commuter