Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smoking / Burning Coolant, can't find a source !FIXED!

I started to smell coolant on my way home from work. I pulled over and found the engine bay puffing away. After it cleared I found the passenger side of the spare was wet, along with alot of the hoses back by #3 cylinder were wet. Smoke seemed to be rising from the top of the transmission where the cover for the timing marks are, not out of the hole, but from that area, as well as by the intake manifold.

I let it cool for a while, flipped on the defrost, and was on my way, the temp was fine until I got off the highway and had to stop at a red light, then it climbed, so I pulled over again, still smoking and there were small puddles starting to form under the car.

I let it cool for a few hours, and topped off the radiator, it took about 1/2 gallon. It sat overnight and the same thing happened again this morning. The temp gauge never made it to redline, but smoking.

The Radiator, upper and lower hoses, all look good. I can't find any obvious sources for the smoke. I called into work today, so here's my plan for troubleshooting.

Wait for all to cool, top off with coolant, more visual inspection. Find diagram of cooling system hoses, and check all. I have a cheap compression tester, so I'll try that after the hoses. After that I'm looking for direction. I'd really appreciate any help given. Thanks

If you are not getting any smoke out of the exhaust and your engine oil is not a milkshake of coolant and oil, then I would suspect the heater core or hoses to be the problem. You could partially drain the radiator and then bypass the heater core with a new hose to test.

Hmm, heater hose / core. Ok, ah, the heat works fine if that helps any, I have heart a gurgle out of the core once or twice on start up. Isn't there a test I can do with connecting them together or some such thing?

Everything is cold now. I looked at all the hoses, that I could find anyway, and they seem to be ok. The hose from the thermostat housing to the top of the block pulled off easily on the block side when I tugged it, so I checked it and hooked it back up. I opened the housing and took out the thermostat, it's boiling as I type this.

There is a small hose on the back of the throttle body and if that is cracked it will squirt coolant in the manner you describe the wetness. Check that hose and replace it. If this were my car, I would replace all of the hoses at the same time. Don't forget the heater bypass hose under the A/C compressor. it is a B==== to get at, but I would rather change it under controlled curcumstances than on the side of the road. There is also a small hose from the block to the thermostat housing and that has a tendency to crack. It too is a bear to get at, but worth replacing.

I have been where you are.

Good Luck

My thermostat never opened in the boiling water, so I'm off to get a new one from the dealer. I removed, inspected, and put back on both heater hoses, they looked good. There are only 2 right?

mdjdc: I beleive I checked that one, but I will double check it. I saw on the hose diagrams the one that runs under the a/c compressor, and it looks awful to get to, so that may be last on my list.

Anyone have a good procedure to replace the hose that goes under the a/c compressor???

I'll keep you updated.

There is a small hose on the back of the throttle body and if that is cracked it will squirt coolant in the manner you describe the wetness. Check that hose and replace it. If this were my car, I would replace all of the hoses at the same time.

+1

I sprung a leak in that little hose... while taking it off the second time I tweaked it just right so the pin hole opened and squirted water out.

If you don't know when the hoses were last changed... I'd strongly recommend you change all of them. I thought the hoses on my 91 loyale were fine... not too long after that the upper rad hose BLEW UP (6" long tear). Got to replace the water pump after that one.

anyway, that's my 0.15 (VAT included)

...Anyone have a good procedure to replace the hose that goes under the a/c compressor???

I'll keep you updated.

I Really HATE that Hose... is a 5/8" curved in 90º Hose, About one foot long. Goes to the Hot air system... it blew up long time ago... The correct procedure is to take off the Alternator and the A/C Unit... you don`t need to unplug the A/C Hoses, but be careful to them, to prevent A/C Gas leak, if it touches your skin, it will be a big problem, so be careful.

Change it with the very Best brand new hose you can find, and that`s it!.

Good Luck! :)

I think I found the culprit!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/846/cracked_hose.JPG

mdjdc, whoozie: Is that the hose you were talking about?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/846/hose_spray.jpg

I replaced the hose and filled the radiator again. I let the engine run for 20 or so min, and all was well. I took a test drive, things seemed to be good.

When I got back and opened the hood I did smell some burning and saw some smoke coming from the exhaust / cats. I think the excess and spilt coolant needs a few days to burn off. But I'll consider this a victory for now.