Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PB 5 spd drive shaft same length as d/r 5spd?

Guest subu luvr

Guest subu luvr

i have a push button 4x4 single piece driveshaft from 87 wagon

i wanna use it in a 87 wagon with d/r 5spd

willie fit?

i dont understand why they put a carrier bearing in a

independent susp rear end.....

the carrier barring is more for keeping the shaft higher off the ground for a longer distance that way the actual amount of rear drive shaft exposed to ground contact (AKA high centering - i think this is the term) doesn't increase the chances of a bent drive shaft.

The next thought is that with four basicly different body styles you would possibly of had 4 different drive shaft lengths.

(SO I'm just shootin' the breeze here) If the company wanted to streamline assembly costs then the first half up to the carrier barring would be the same for all cars.

Next is that they could have say two or maybe 3 short shaft extensions that are different allowing for a lower cost for assembly of this section of driveshaft in the order of "1000's"....

who knows....

But i did find that a sedan shaft from a 88 was a little to short for the 86 i had - then i found out that the 88 shaft was for an auto tranny :D yeah I was ahhh admitting oops on that one when that happened. LOL so there it sits up in michigan for as far as i'm aware still in the rafters of the barn....

Guest subu luvr

maybe i should ask if the pb5 is the same length as the dr5

er, maybe i should go measure :P (why didnt i think of that?)

*the dull yellow 25 watt bug-bulb goes on over my head*