Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy tranny problem,please help

First of all i did a search and i found nothing,which i found odd because i was told my problem is commen.I just need to know how to fix it.

When i start my car and its about 75 degrees or below outside the tranny gets stuck in Park and wont let me shift out of gear. One morning it took about 15 minutes before i could leave my house because i could not get it out of Park.Does anyone know how to fix this or atleast whats wrong with the tranny?Any helpful info would be great,thanks.

Richard

P.S. I have a 95 Legacy Ls sedan automatic

Is it the shift lever?

If its the lever, there is a solenoid that should release the lock when you step on the brakes. There is a manual release, pry off the black trim ring around the shifter.

You will see a 1/4" hole in the shifter body, just push down with a round bar of some sort and it will release the shifter.

If its your shift lock soleniod, and you want a new shifter I have one you can have for $15+shipping.

If the shift lever is fine, the cable should be checked and fluid changed. It could be either. Is your AT Temp light flashing 16 times when you start the car? If so you have a trouble code stored and need to get it read.

First of all i did a search and i found nothing,which i found odd because i was told my problem is commen.I just need to know how to fix it.

When i start my car and its about 75 degrees or below outside the tranny gets stuck in Park and wont let me shift out of gear. One morning it took about 15 minutes before i could leave my house because i could not get it out of Park.Does anyone know how to fix this or atleast whats wrong with the tranny?Any helpful info would be great,thanks.

Richard

P.S. I have a 95 Legacy Ls sedan automatic

Do this, put your foot on the brake pedal, then press in the release button. You should hear a relay click. if it does not you have a bad relay. If it does click and you cant get it out of park, then you have a bad solenoid.

nipper