Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering / Axle Issues

I threw in a new right front axle on Sunshine last weekend to cure the f'd up DOJ on that side. However, the axle I got at Schucks, while nice-looking, didn't quite fit. The holes for the roll pin on the DOJ were machined off by maybe 2 degrees. Just barely, but enough that the pin wouldn't go back in. I managed to destroy a pair of pins trying to get it locked back into place.

So, I put in its place a bolt with a nyloc nut that seems to be holding well. Yes, it's ghetto, I know, but I figured it would work for a week until I can snag a new, well-made axle.

However, today, all of the sudden the steering is REALLY stiff, just kind of out of nowhere. I came home at 6:00, steering was fine, and when I left again at 6:45, the steering was crazy stiff. I'm also hearing a clunk from the right front on slow, sharp turns.

Haven't checked the PS fluid yet, but I will in a moment. The pump doesn't sound like it's low, though.

Think this axle is even more junk than I originally figured?

Thanks!

there's only one way the axle itself will go onto the tranny. Granted, you can put it on with the splines off but try taking the DOJ back off of the tranny and rotating it 180 degrees. I did the same thing and finally figured it out after I took a couple hours to cool off because of my frustration.