Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 to 5 bolt wheel swap Q?

Guest oregonloyale

Guest oregonloyale

I was reading ultimatRX's web page and reading on how to do this swap and it looked to me like all you really had to do was swap the backing plates and rotors from a five lug sube?

If this is or isnt true what 5 lug sube's should I look for to swap into my 92 loyale AWD?

Guest MilesFox

xt 6 is what you want. the back should bolt up, but the front uses a legacy style axle(steering knuckle?) on an ea82 style strut.

the strut assembly will bolt in, but i am not sure about the axle. you may have to swap out the inner DOJ of the axle for the ea style trans.

if you can compare an xt6 to a 4cyl xt then you will see the differences for what you will need to do

there are others on the board that would know more than me.

i myself want to put 5 lugs on an ea81, and my ea81 has ea82 suspension to mount it to

Guest Flowmastered87GL

It might be a while before a complete XT6 comes along again, the one I was GOING to pull some rear stuff off of for subarutex got one of its rotors lost :(

And hondasucks and I are gonna go gut the other one thats "hidden" away in a day or so hopefully.

There is a complete FRONT setup (less tie rod ends) and a rear setup less rotor and backing plate bolts on the car at the U-pull-it on foster road. If you could dig up the tie rod ends from a FWD XT6 and you bought a new set of rear rotors you could get matching bolts at a hardware store for the other side, so all is not lost. If you do go after it just make sure the ring stuff up as suspension or brake assembly. NOT itemize it.... I let them do that and the bill was like $313 :eek: I promptly returned the parts and got my money back fortunately :D

Guest UltimateRX

I am working on a new conversion, if it works, all you'll need from the XT6 is the front lower arm with ball joint, tie rod ends, and the rear brake set-up (backing plate, hub, rotor and caliper w/line). It will have a better support for the front axle bearing then the XT6 which I never liked in the first place. But you will need a transmission out of a turbo car because the axles with require a 25 spline stud tranny axle.

But to answer your question, "Yes" the conversion will work on your 92 Loyal, it is basically the same as the 85 to 89 EA82 series cars, but you will need to change the tranny to a turbo, or change the tranny stub axles to 25 spline type.

Like other have hinted, but not really said, there is more then just changing the backing plates out on the front, that is true for the rear.

Fox, you're idea will not work becuase Legacy type strut bolt to the knuckle, and EA82 style don't, so you can't use the EA82 style with the Legacy knuckle.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Did I hear somewhere that rear calipers on turbos and XT6's are the same? If they are wouldnt you technically not need that part either?

I am not sure, thats why I ask

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Then whats the point in grabbing the calipers? They cost alot (well at least when Itemized like my dumbass had last time :rollin: )

Guest UltimateRX

Flow, the important part to grab is not so much the calipers, but the brake line, since the rear rotors on teh XT6 are slightly larger then the EA82Ts, the caliper sits further towards the back of the car and further away from the brake line disconnect.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Ahhh I get it now.

It also lets you keep a rear disk conversion for a rear drum equipped car 100% intact too. (Once Andrew does his someday I am buying his old rear disk brakes off him)

Guest MilesFox

so does the xt6 have legacy or ea style struts? i am sure it has the ea style strut cap?

i still need to get a good look at an xt6 myself.

but the trashwagon is converted to ea82 lower control arms(like rguyver's diagram--whatever happened to him?) , so if i took those out then the xt6 control arms would go in the same as they would on an ea82 car.

i did notice the axle nut on the xt6 is like that of a legacy. would the doj from an ea82 fit on a legacy axle, thus saving the tranny mods/swap?

Guest MilesFox

No, not yet. at least as long as its at Bradd's i wont have to worry about it. If i can get ahold of NoahDL88, he is coming back to michigan, and maybe i can get him and one of his buddies to drive it back. at least i got a job now and i can pay him back travel expenses

Guest Dennis

the top 3 bolts for the strut tower are a bit off and the holes need to be oblonged to fit the legacy struts...the bracket for the bottom is also 1/4in narrower on these struts...

the xt6 struts fit perfectly in the strut tower holes...its best to grab everything from a 2WD xt6 if possible or grab anything below the struts on a 4WD xt6 and then get the struts from the dealer for $90 a piece and use the top mounts and springs from you loyale struts...

Guest MilesFox

i saw the website, some quick Q's

is the backing plate for the 5 lug specific to the swap, as if the caliper mounting is different? or is it all the same either way?

the spline count on the xt6 rotor fits on the rx's (is the rear RX axles turbo splines?

and does the rx's axle nut fit on the xt6 rear rotor like it does on the xt6, or just in a way to hold it on? (for reference, not reliability doubts)

according to the pictures, the ball joint will fit my ea82 lower control arm conversion. Does the hole for the tie rod use the same as ea82? if so, i would drill them out because i went back to ea81 tie rod ends