Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Speed Swap Movable Questions.... Will it roll without halfshafts??

So heres my scenario...

91 Legacy L AWD 5 speed... *remove 5 speed, rear end, parts*

5 speed ----> into my 92 Touring Wagon...

91 Legacy with no rear end, and axels -----> 30 miles away---->Crusher

I want to put the 91 (when its a rolling shell) up onto the tow dolly (rear 2 wheels on the ground) but it wont have a rear end, nor the axles attached for those will go into the touring wagon.

Does this practice put stress on the wheel berings to the point of danger?

going a step further, i'm going to be doing the swap and i need to move cars around, by physically rolling them around my property.... can i move either the touring wagon or the silver bullet (as Clark fondly called the 91 before he sold it to me) without axles in place? i really dont want to score the bering track and cause damage.

haha, and another thing i was curious about... when i get the flywheel out, i read somewhere that on the 2000's *outbacks* that you're not supposed to resurface the flywheel... is this true on ALL subarus??? any info is AWESOME. i found that so strange.. but then again, we subaru folk kinda go against convention ;) us and our "boxer" power :headbang:

rock on.. rock on

... and thanks!!!

The axles preload the bearings and keep the hub in the bearing. Without that preload you are asking for problems!

You could get some old axles and pull the outer joint and just put it in and bolt it down. That would solve the problem.

ok thats good to know... i'll have a rear end to put into the back of the car to hold everything in place, then i'll have a the forklift dude raise the car up, and i'll remove the rear.

what about rolling the car around. the touring wagon will probably move 40 - 60 feet total, all at walking speed, and slower... will this be a problem? sounds like it will

thanks for the response!!

anyone else want to put their $0.02?

what about rolling the car around. the touring wagon will probably move 40 - 60 feet total, all at walking speed, and slower... will this be a problem? sounds like it will

haha i really don´t think so ;)

me and my dad have towed my car about 20miles all on 4 wheels........ it didn´t do it any harm.

haha i really don´t think so ;)

me and my dad have towed my car about 20miles all on 4 wheels........ it didn´t do it any harm.

i mean without any drive train in the back.. just wheels... no halfshafts, rear end, or prop shaft...

Are the rear halfshafts like the old EA style ones where they slip over 2 stubbs or are they like the front halfshafts? If they slip over the stubbs, no problem moving it. As long as you didn't remove the nut in the middle of the wheel, it should be movable.