Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I'm the PROUD owner of a '91 Loyale 5spd, 4WD wagon. It is fun and easy to work on, gets good gas milage, so-so performance/handling, and has TONS of features for an older/inexpensive car. But I think I might want more!

Has anyone else here made the jump from the EA8X cars to the Legacy? I think I would be much happier in a similar Legacy. Or even one with an automatic. If I make the jump, I'd like to do it before I sink too much money into the BanditWagon. I've already tuned it, and will be adding rear disk brakes this weekend. That's >$200 right there. I want a stereo, and rims, and, well, you know how things start adding up.

Your thoughts either way?

Thanks Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com :headbang:

start looking while you have a good car to drive. you can get a great deal on newer impreza/legacy models if you keep your eye out. i got an impreza OBS for my wife and she loves it and i like it as well. she keeps telling me to get one, but i won't do it. stubborn, challenging, etc..i like the older ones.

only things i don't like are the gas mileage sucks and it's an interference engine. my XT6 has AWD and is a 6 cylinder but the auto and manual trans both get better or as good gas mileage as the newer EJ's. the interference engine can be avoided depending how new and which motor you get. check out the new gen forums if you start looking.

We owned three of the older Loyale/GL's over the years, and made the switch to the Legacies, of which we currently have three. The Legacy is definitely a nicer car than the Loyale. The older GL was nicer than the Loyales too, but the Legacy is overall a much more sound, safe, reliable, and comfortable car than either. My preference is for the 95-96 vintage Legacy L or LS wagons rather than the Outback. It's just a AWD station wagon and satisfied with itself, no SUV wannabe pretense. They've all got dual airbags, most have ABS, and AWD is standard on all but a few 95's. The 95-96's are old enough now that you can pick up one at a very reasonable price, and I also think that body style is about the nicest looking and best proportioned Subaru they ever made. I believe 95-96 is before they went to interference engines, and all the Legacy L and LS models have the reliable 2.2 liter engine. We've driven a total of about 320,000 miles in our three combined and had no problems other than routine wear items. The Loyales, while not unreliable, definitely had more problems. I think there's adequate power with the 2.2 automatic, and fuel economy isn't terrible. It's actually better than we got in the Loyales. We average about 21-22 around town, and 26-27 on the highway. On one trip, I was very careful with my speed and didn't use the A/C and got almost 32 mpg. The Loyales never did better than about 24 on the highway, even with frugal driving techniques.

If your car is running fine and doesn't need a lot of $$$ invested in it then keep driving it. If it is nickeling and diming you to death beyond what is reasonable then go for a newer model. Nice thing about the old subies is you can do much more for your money then the newer ones if you don't mind getting used parts, etc. Every time my wife whines about a $100 here or there in my XT6 I reminder her of that $330 a month car payment that is sitting in the driveway since she rides her bike to work most nice days. Personally, I'd keep my eye out for a 96ish or so Legacy wagon (not an outback) as you can pick one up for a song. It'll have the nice reliable 2.2 non-inter. engine. Will get moderately good mileage and be fairly safe to the front seat passangers. Take your time though as it sounds like you're not on borrowed time with the loyale.

Thanks for all the input. On this base I almost expected the older car to be attacked, but instead I recieved some good points given to them.

I think I will stick with the BanditWagon. I do like the unique-ness of it, the 32 MPG, and the 4WD on demand. It is pretty easy to work on, as long as I take into consideration how old and corroded some areas might be.

I will however keep my eyes opened for a 95 - 96 Legacy wagon. If I find the right car at the right price, I'll get it. Otherwise I'll keep driving what I have until the wheels fall off! And get a decent stereo system!

Thanks again,

Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com :headbang: