Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy.. Fans always on.. why?

They are always on because you live someplace where its always 180 degrees outside (hehehe):banana: .

The shouldnt be on all the time. The fans come on with the AC, or when the car reaches a pre determined temp. They operate off relays that i think are located under the hood. Sounds like a relay is stuck or there is a short someplace. better they are stuck on then off. i would start by making sure the AC is off, and unpluging the fan temp swith in the radiator. Next i would investigate the relays. and thier connections.

How technical and do you have a Volt meter.

A quick way to check for a suspected vaccume leak is by using a spray bottle of either carb cleaner or water. When the suspected leak sucks in the water or carb cleaner the engine rpm will change,and you will know for sure if it is a leak. I dont ever remember a leaking intake gasket, but stuff happens. I dont think you have a leak, but another problem. How many miles and is this an automatic or manual.

nipper

Why are the fans always on?.. any ideas?.. also are these cars prone to have intake manifold leaks? i have a little sputter when i hit the gas and i think it's air related.

Thanks

Does your dash cigarette lighter work?

When mine blew, the circuit was forwarded to the fans and that kept them on all the time...