Ultimate Subaru Message Board

taking apart 86 hvac controls...

ok then, no problem in removing the cluster on the left side of the dash but the ones on the right i cant figure out...screw at top screw at bottom but it still doesnt budge...did i miss something?

along with that, does anyone know if the bulbs in the left hand cluster(cruise/rear defroster etc..) are the same as the ones for the heat/vent etc..??

one cluster pulls out and one stays there until you pull the fascia away...this one is the air/heater control and is removable when the surround is removed first.....reason being is the 4 vacuum hoses attached and the wire cable to the heater box.....cheers ..i hope this helps..

So it sounds like you got the two screws out that hold in the actual HVAC controls? (screw below the Defrost & Off buttons)

There should be another screw under the lower lip holding the rear wiper switch in. After that, there just some 'clips' molded into the dash fascia around the center vents. Often they need quite a bit of persuasion to come loose.