Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 RX Project Update (56K Beware)

Well, i haven't posted about the car in awhile. Thought I'd show off what I've been up to the last couple of months. First off, I'd like to thank all the people that have helped me out with my endeavors. Andy, Corky, you guys rock!

Just today, I finished off the car. I'll show before, then afters...then i'll explain whats going on!

Engine Before:

RX%20engine%20stuff%20002.jpg

Engine After:

RX%20engine%20stuff%20024.jpg

As you can see, i've swapped in the spider intake. I also put in an xt6 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. And remade the cold air intake, that I made an aluminum divider for.

Car Before:

Hood%20Scoop%20008.jpg

Car After:

New%20Look%20009.jpg

New%20Look%20014.jpg

Now I'm sporting an XT6 5 lug swap. In front, i have 2.5rs struts, with the stock RX springs in them. XT6 front spindles, brakes, axles, lower control arms, and sway bar. In the rear, i just have the XT6 hubs, rotors, and backing plates.

The wheels are 18" Enkei CDR-9's. I've only rubbed once. I think the wheels are a bit too big, and I'll probally get some 16's or 17's for it instead.

Current mod list -

Engine: 13psi with boost controller, WRX intercooler w/BOV, spider intake, custom CAI, XT6 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate

Suspension: 5 lug swap, XT6 sway bar, RS struts

Electronics: Apexi S-AFC (fuel control computer, sorta), Apexi Turbo timer w/ A/F ratio gauge

Other: Hood Scoop, 18" rims, Boost gauge

that engine looks GOOD. 'specially with an IC :D

and you're welcome. that there throttle position sensor came from my soon-to-be-installed engine which used to be tyrel neufeld's which used to be rguyver's. i love how parts and things get reused and recirculated on this board..

Hello Subarutex,

First off, I just wanted to say that your ride looks VERY nice. I really like how you hooked up the intercooler with the hood scoop. I just have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What is your Sensor Calc and Sensor Number setting for your Apexi SAFC on your EJ18 setup?,

2) What kind of tubing/piping are you using to connect your Maf sensor to your turbo, turbo to intercooler and your intercooler to your throttle body? Where can I get this tubing/piping?,

3) Your cold air intake setup looks sweet. How did you go about hooking the air filter to the Maf sensor? This part seems more difficult than hooking the Maf sensor to the rubber-like piping since the air filter to MAF seems to require bolting up.

4) Will an xt6 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate be able to fit a 1985 RX?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to learn something here. Really nice looking setup you have. Looks promising! I'm dying to know what kind of trap speed your car will run in the 1/4 mile but most people here don't go to the strip so I don't ask anymore. *hint, hint*

If you don't want to give away some of the information, that's understandable. I am looking through your website now (wasn't aware of it before). I can see how you re-modified your intake from what it used to be to what it is now. Nice!

Does anyone know what is the widest tire you can use on stock rims. I have some 175/70-13's with Goodyear Decathalon tires on it that I'd like to make wider in the future. Thanks!

Myxalplyx: Ive got 205/60's on my stock 5 inch wide rims. I think I might coiuld suqeeze 215/60s on there...but it'd be tuff. Even so, the tire profile would be more rounded on the outer edges, more so that the 205 already is. But then again, I am running about 43 psi is each tire.

And Subarutex: I have the same Q's!

Originally posted by Dr. RX

I think I can answer some of these questions, but first, what EJ18 setup??? He used a spider intake off of an XT4 (EA82). Question 2, he made a lot of trips to the hardware store PVC section. He'll have to answer #3. #4, yes.

Thanks for answering question number 2. Question one is in reference to a 1985 RX that I plan on purchasing BUT I wanted to know what his current Sensor Calc and Sensor Number setting are on his Apexi SAFC. These settings are what mostly prevented me from using the Apexi SAFC on my XT6 and I have sense taken it off (then it got stolen out of my Outback Sport :madder: ). It's good that someone installed it on their RX as a guinea pig to make things easier for the rest of us seeking this route I hope.

There are a couple other settings like the type of Maf sensor but different RX's have different types of Mafs I thought I read here.

Another reason I was thinking of putting the SAFC on the RX is to raise the fuel cut limit after installing higher flowing injectors. This is what I read off of an SAFC tuning site (Road Race Engineering)......

"Fuel cut is caused by the ECU seeing a large airflow value from the MAF which works out to roughly 100% duty cycle on the stock injectors. If you install 550cc injectors which are 18% bigger than the stock injectors, then adjust the AFC to compensate for the larger injectors, you won't hit fuel cut until you

make up that 18% airflow buffer. *These sizes don't apply to OUR cars but the idea remains the same*........."

I know a lot of you know this stuff already but some of us don't.

When u said he is using the spider intake off of the XT4, was that in reference to his MAF sensor hooking up to the air filter, the piping going from the intercooler to the throttle body, the intake manifold itself or something else? Just a little confused!

I'm not too sure what my sensor calc and sensor number settings are, i can certainly check though.

I noticed when i was running 10psi of boost, that i wasn't hitting fuel cut hardly ever (with the S-AFC) Now I am running 13psi of boost, and I seem to be hitting it all the time. I've adjusted the SAFC a little bit, but i think the answer really lies in this: DIY FCD

I'm currently about half way through wiring this up on a perf board. Hopefully in a month or so I'll get it installed and tested.

The tubing is all a combination of Lowes (hardware store) and schucks. Same goes for the piece that connects the air filter to the MAF, or so the previous owner MikeW told me, he's the one that did the original CAI setup, i just reused that piece.

The old enkei's are far from crappy. I've never seen another set like them. Most of the old people here haven't either. These are rare wheels. There is a bit of curb rash. How much are you looking at spending Freak?

I was talking about the manifold. When you (Myaxlphyx) said, "...on your EJ18 setup?", I thought you were talking about the intake. I couldn't figure where the reference to an EJ18 was coming from.

Hey Freak, Ed is moving soon, and I'm sure he'd like to move on less set of wheels, so you'd better get up there now.

Yeah Tex, the RX is lookin' real good man. I'm really liking what you've done with it and I'm very glad you got the car. That's partly because I couldn't afford the speeding tickets:-)

Regarding question #2, about the MAF to airfilter adapter... It came from Home Depot and it was a row or two over from the PVC stuff in the drain pipe section. The adapter flange was a storm drain I think like you'd use in front of a residential garage door. I believe there was a green plastic grate that snapped on but I might be wrong about that. Anyhow it fit and flowed perfect with minimal effort.